jump to last post 1-15 of 15 discussions (31 posts)

Whew, the new subdomains DON'T suck after all!

1. Shadesbreath profile image88
    Shadesbreathposted 5 years ago

So, after a week of freaking out because my second best earning hub lost all its traffic and was down to like 5 views a day for a week, it's returned to its rightful place at the top of Google for that particular thing.

So, now I am happy. I was afraid that my free beer payment was going to become a semi-annual thing or something and, well, that was scary.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image85
      Mark Ewbieposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Congrats Shades, you deserve it.  Apropos of nothing, my BEST hub gets nearly 5 views a day, on a good day.  Now OK, my drawings aren't as good as yours, but 'they' don't know that till they click on it.

I don't drink a lot of beer, let's put it like that.

2. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 5 years ago

Pretty much what I saw, too, Shades.  My best hub descended to levels it hadn't seen since 3 days after publishing it a year ago, but has now returned to nearly pre-panda traffic.

It's a scary ride, and it won't really be over for some time until we really know where we'll end up.  Tuesday was very good for me both in traffic and income, but yesterday saw a good sized down tick and poor income.  Today, however, is running at twice yesterday's numbers.

I think it will take at least a month before we really know where we stand.

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I agree - my traffic is climbing nicely too, but I'm not getting excited because it may just be that Google sees our subdomains as new, so we're getting the "freshness boost".

I've learned that doesn't last. Last year, I started a new eBay affiliate website last October. It went ballistic (by my standards) and I thought I'd hit on a real money-spinner - but in fact, it was the combination of being in the "honeymoon" period with Google, and the fact that it was just before Christmas.  Traffic dropped away in late December and now it just chugs along.

1. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Just so, Marisa - that's in the back of my mind as well.  What will happen when the honeymoon is over?  Realistically, I'm seeing hubs ranking higher than pre-panda and they probably won't stay that way.  I'm hoping that they retain at least their pre-panda ranking, but there's no guarantee of that, either.

3. wychic profile image80
    wychicposted 5 years ago

Agreed, it scared me at first too -- overall traffic didn't really go up for the first few days, but my one hub that made it strong throughout panda and everything else bottomed out. Now it's back up, and with a 30% increase to boot big_smile. Overall traffic has been going steady with about a 100%-150% increase over the pitiful post-panda trickles I was getting. Better yet, earnings is starting to pick up too smile.

4. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image93
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 5 years ago

I did the sub domain switch thing last night.  I guess it doesn't kill all of our backlinks after all?

My traffic is good today - but it's because someone somewhere stuck one of mine into someone's forum somewhere - very nice when that happens. . . .

5. CyclingFitness profile image91
    CyclingFitnessposted 5 years ago

I'm glad as well as i've seen about a 25% increase in hub views since switching to the subdomain and a couple of my hubs have shot up to first page on google for certain search terms which is very encouraging

I found it took 3-4 days before traffic began to pick up and have also found that my subdomain is also drawing in traffic on a small level which is also positive- therefore my advice to anyone is to optimize their profile page as a priority now- it's my job for this weekend coming!

1. Barbara Kay profile image84
      Barbara Kayposted 5 years ago in reply to this

My hubs are getting more traffic than ever even before Panda. I went through about 4 days of almost no traffic from Google and it freaked me out too. I hope this lasts and the results are good for others too.

I am getting more traffic than before from other search engines too.

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image93
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Good deal!  Hey, I'm no pro cyclist - but it's (bicycles) the only way I get around these days.  I think I'll give you a follow.

6. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 5 years ago

What a great thread! I am so glad to see that the subdomains are working for us smile

7. RedElf profile image85
    RedElfposted 5 years ago

My traffic has already doubled but is still a long way from pre-Panda. Lots of hubs in the middle of the pack not getting views yet.

But we live in hope!

8. girly_girl09 profile image76
    girly_girl09posted 5 years ago

Things are definitely improving! Maybe next month I won't have to get help from my parents again to help pay my bills (which I have been doing since Panda!!!)

I'm not loving the CTR, but am loving the traffic...so hopefully things will balance out. On my other site, CTR is off, too...so I just feel like that is something that HP isn't affecting.

1. sagebrush_mama profile image82
      sagebrush_mamaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

That's encouraging...your success story as featured on the HP blog just after I joined was one of the motivations for me to dive in and work hard!

1. girly_girl09 profile image76
        girly_girl09posted 5 years ago in reply to this

wow...sage over 400 hubs! Looks like you are more motivated than me, now! big_smile (I haven't published since Panda...and focusing else where but with this subdomain move I might be coming back and writing more soon!)

Most of my hubs were pre-panda...haven't done as much post panda here, but learning how to do lenses, and tried out Helium, as well...just trying to fill in finance gaps here and there!

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
            Marisa Wrightposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Helium? Noooooooooo!

Yeah, I know...they've had some 10 and 5 dollar articles available the last couple of months (end of the month)...I don't spend tons of time there, but it's a type of writing that works well in my short periods of down time, between garden, kiddos, and mom's taxi service!

2. Lissie profile image86
            Lissieposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'd seriously suggest that you learn how to develop your own websites using self-hosted wordpress - its a learning curve but its the best chance you have for a sustainable income in the futrue

Thanks for that suggestion...I know it's a learning curve, and I can't seem to warm up to the wordpress dashboard.  I'll get it, I'm sure!

1. theherbivorehippi profile image85
                theherbivorehippiposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Spend a day getting to know WordPress....it may be the best relationship you've ever had! smile

1. Shadesbreath profile image88
                  Shadesbreathposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Well, it's more than a day. LOL. I've been working on my first wordpress site for about three months (granted not full time), and there is definitely a learning curve like y'all.

I don't know what to "keyword" it for, much less know where to put them, but I have it up and lots of pretty pictures lol.

1. theherbivorehippi profile image85
                    theherbivorehippiposted 5 years ago in reply to this

lol lol

9. Stacie L profile image86
    Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

well I do have more traffic but its still low...sad

10. lumberjack profile image83
    lumberjackposted 5 years ago

Ha, I've just switched to a subdomain today, we'll see how that pans out. smile

Luckily, I'm not all too concerned with traffic anymore.

11. Richieb799 profile image64
    Richieb799posted 5 years ago

Good news, although I'm still holding out the switch until the last moment like Thisisoli

12. wavegirl22 profile image46
    wavegirl22posted 5 years ago

Rich-
    Please do not take offense to this .. but why are you "following" what Thisoli does.. not that I do not respect him and his knowledge but I can tell you first hand you need not wait for anyone on this issue . .Why be a follower when you can be a leader?

13. Kangaroo_Jase profile image81
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 5 years ago

This is all rather encouraging for what has been a real hard and trying time for both Hubbers and for HQ over the last six months. Keep an eye on things but let's see how this all pans out over the next 12 months. It is also a really good idea to diversify as well.

I cannot pinpoint reasons why yet the Panda update feels like an entreƩ to me, and I have suspicions big G may have more instore in the future, I just hope I am totally wrong. But for the now, let's enjoy our current victories.

1. earnestshub profile image87
      earnestshubposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hi Kanga, my hits are rising, but CTR although improving has some way to go. Lets see what happens as you say....

14. Amanda Severn profile image91
    Amanda Severnposted 5 years ago

I haven't been around on HubPages too much lately, so the whole sub-domain think has pretty much by-passed me. I've just clicked on the relevant links now, and I'm crossing my fingers!

15. Rosie2010 profile image83
    Rosie2010posted 5 years ago

I switched last Friday, so it's been a week as of today.  First couple of days, my traffic was down 30%, but traffic picked up slowly and today I see a lot of red triangles in my account page. Yay!  My traffic is now about 30% UP.  But as Marisa and Wilderness are saying, it could just be that Google sees our subdomains as new, so we're getting the "freshness boost".  Nonetheless, I'm happy today!

working