jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

not all views have a discernable source

1. Rob Winters profile image76
    Rob Wintersposted 5 years ago

I realise the statement implies the sources cannot be identified but i'm just wondering if anyone has any sense of the type of traffic sources that tend to fall into the category 'not all views have a discernable source' within the hub stats.Seems to be accounting for more views lately.

1. thooghun profile image87
      thooghunposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hi Rob,

I don't think we're talking special sources here, I'm guessing the traffic you're talking about it regular traffic from people who have chosen to turn referrer passing off in their browsers settings.

Tunnelware and proxy servers can also generate referraless traffic.

2. Rob Winters profile image76

Thanks thooghun, hadn't thought about that.

3. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 5 years ago

I just hate when I get multiple views from somewhere that hasn't been identified, yet that is silly really because what is Google.com or Google.whatever? Strangers, no idea who they are, so it shouldn't matter if their method of accessing my hub isn't identified.

It shouldn't matter, but it does.....

paranoia is alive and well big_smile

4. Rob Winters profile image76

I hear you Izzy smile.I do partially like to know out of sheer curiosity as well being able to best judge any traffic generation efforts i'm engaged in or to sometimes identify ones i should perhaps be focusing on.

5. LuisEGonzalez profile image80
    LuisEGonzalezposted 5 years ago

Rob makes a great point. My unidentified visits have grown recently and I usually like to know the sources as a way of doing some targeted feeds. Perhaps there may be a way of knowing where this traffic comes from, although at this point I am not aware of any. cool

1. Rob Winters profile image76

Thanks Luis - While i'm still relatively new on here and have only a few hubs and therefore am only dealing with relatively small no.s of views to be analysing there has been a noticable increase in the 'unidentified views' and whilst it is a minority % of overall views it is a significant %. Had i hundreds of hubs like you guys i could be talking hundreds of views per day falling into this category!

1. LeanMan profile image80
        LeanManposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Setup google analytics - there are plenty of hubs on doing this out there - analytics will give you far more detailed information than the Hubpages stats..

working