jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)

Grouping Hubs

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image89
    DzyMsLizzyposted 5 years ago

I have a suggestion I feel would be very useful for many of us, as well as helping readers find certain of our hubs.
    Since we have recently been assigned "subdomains," this would be a similar but (I think) simpler process.

I am speaking of a way to have a group of hubs under a sub-head, so that all hubs that are a related series could remain together in a group, instead of being scattered all through our list of hubs.

For example, I have a series of articles all on a single related theme, but putting all the information into a single hub would be too much.
    Likewise, a friend of mine has published her entire novel here (because her circumstances changed, and she could not afford the self-publishing costs), but instead of being able to read it in order, one has to search around for all the chapters; they are all mixed up on here.

With my suggestion, the title and intro/foreword hub could have a sub-grouping of all the other chapters, kept in sequence, and the entire set rated/scored as a group instead of by individual chapter or article.

Just an idea.....

2. Cagsil profile image59
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

You can already assign hubs to specific individual groups. wink

3. 2uesday profile image88
    2uesdayposted 5 years ago

DzyMsLizzy hi, if you have not used this before it is under groups on your account page. When you navigate to the groups page you can name the groups as you wish, then drag and drop them in the order you want them within the group. If you do not do this you will see that they are labelled orphan hubs.

You will find that the hubs you put next to each other in the groups will relate to the hubs that appear with the navigational links at the foot of your hubs.

If you already know the above, I apologise and I hope the info here might help someone else.

DzyMsLizzyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hi, Cagsil and 2uesday,
      Yes, I am aware of this--however, it does not keep them together in the ranking list under "my account."  That is what I am suggesting--for them to be kept together with each other, in sequence, like chapters in a book, and visible that way to all visitors.
      The current 'grouping' function has no effect on where they show up in the list, said groups being visible only to the author.

1. Marisa Wright profile image94
        Marisa Wrightposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Lizzy, you're not the first person to complain!  The list of Hubs on your profile page is generated at random and you have no control over it. 

The only comfort is that none of your paying visitors are remotely interested in your profile, and will never visit it. They will come directly to one of your Hubs, so the trick is to ensure YOU direct them to other Hubs of interest by including links to your other Hubs on the same topic. 

You can do that by including links within the text, or add a Links capsule listing your other Hubs.  Just be sure you ONLY include links to Hubs on the same topic, or HubPages will penalize you for unrelated links.

So, can I link my articles on auto insurance and homeowners insurance to my articles on utility companies' outrageous practices without penalty, since the overriding topic of ALL of these is "corporate greed"...???

I'd say you could easily link all your insurance Hubs together, whether auto or homeowners, without any risk.

You do run some risk of being flagged if you interlink them to your utility company Hubs, because I assume they would be in a different category - but the worst that can happen is that your Hub might be unpublished, then you just email team @ HubPages, explain your rationale, and they would probably republish them again in a few days.

Ah--ok.  Thanks Marisa.
                At the moment, they are all "orphans," so if I were to create a group called "Politics and Big Business"  ..and stick them all there.... might do the trick to avoid the potential  flag... ??
                OR--change all the categories to match..."political & social issues" rather than having any appear in "personal finance" ...
                Thanks for the input...in any case, I've a little work to do here.  wink

I don't think HP takes much notice of your own groups, only their categories - so if you can put them all in the same category, you should be fine.

4. Uninvited Writer profile image84
    Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago

Funny, my profile gets lots of traffic and I am sure they are not all internal.

working