jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

Has Your Work been Stolen by linksy.net?

1. melbel profile image93
    melbelposted 5 years ago

My sister's very first hub here on HubPages was stolen by this website (they even used her hubpages handle to publish the content.)

The sad part about it is that HubPages took down her content because it was considered duplicate content. My sister (jshe4941) swears up and down that she did not post her content elsewhere on the Internet.

She is not as Internet savvy as I so I helped her convert a lesson plan that she wrote for a college class into a hub. The hub was stolen word for word.

I also found work by other hubbers on this site including:
    R. Anderson

As a matter of fact, ALL their content appears to originate from HubPages.

Normally I wouldn't bother to get angry and share this information on the forums, but HubPages removed my sister's hub because it was "duplicate content" because of this site stealing her work.

I had my sis file a DMCA thingie and report them to AdSense. However, this is incredibly difficult because my sister no longer has her original work for Google to refer to.. since it was removed for being a dupe.

2. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 5 years ago

That hub is still being shown in google's cache dated Jul 19, 2011 11:59:20 GMT.  Does that help any with the DMCA?

The DMCA should be filed with linksy.net as well.

I would certainly check with HP to get the hub re-published - even if it was stolen within minutes and posted, HP should have a date and time.

Good luck fighting this - it is a huge problem that we all will face at one time or another.  And please do fight it - writers that just ignore the problem become part of the problem themselves.

Off to check for content of mine on that site.

3. melbel profile image93
    melbelposted 5 years ago

Yeah, I'll have her send a message off to HubPages. I can't get her out of her apartment to do it. Poor thing got pneumonia from me. sad Off to surprise her with some Starbucks or something... maybe that'll get her in the crime-fighting mood.

I checked the linksy site, they obviously don't care as to whether or not someone contacts them. First off, they have a private registration, their website is poorly written, and I've contacted them a few times to no avail. Oh, but I'll get them... I will. tongue

I'm going to teach Julia how to protect her work online while I teach her how to create it. Should be fun. tongue

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I thought I caught your name at linksy.net - searching for it at that site produced this:

ht tp://www.linksy.net/2011/07/how-do-you-install-hardwood-floor.html

It appears to be a question and answer straight from HubPages, as does most of what is in that column on linksy.  If so, these belong to HP and they may well be interested.

1. melbel profile image93
        melbelposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I saw that too. I was surprised that they were bothered to put an answer. Yeah, HP would be a good place to go since they could probably pack a super punch while my sis and I are like ummm... I don't know... not super punches, though. tongue

1. wilderness profile image96
          wildernessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Well, that was kind of my thought.

I disagree that you won't carry a punch though - content theft is highly illegal and hosts in America will shut down a site if they don't comply with a DMCA.  I have had very good luck there.

1. BristolBoy profile image82
            BristolBoyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Judging by how much of their traffic comes from Morocco I bet that is where they are based.  Still even if their host isn't in the US I bet Adsense and other advertising networks will still be interested!

2. Lisa HW profile image82
        Lisa HWposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I "love" (sarcasm) questions (in the HP "answers" section or on here).  It's a great way for people to post their questions, get others to answer them (or write a Hub), and then have the perfect thing to steal and post someone else in the hopes of getting some Ad Sense earnings (among other sleazy reasons for posting one kind of question or another). (Obviously, some days I'm more in a mood to deal with the cesspool that is the Internet than I am on other days.  roll)