jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)

Has any one heard of Century Link? How did my Hub get there?

1. Cardisa profile image90
    Cardisaposted 5 years ago

I have been checking my stats to make sure I am getting traffic form Google and other sources other than HP. I got some traffic from Centurylink. I have never heard of it. When I clicked the link it took me to a site that seems like a social network of sorts. Seems strange to me.

Does any one use Centurylink?

1. tamron profile image61
      tamronposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Maybe someone shared your article on Centurylink some of my traffic comes from unknown places.

2. 0
    4youreyesposted 5 years ago

Century Link is a communications network that provides high-speed internet services local and long distant phone service. Hope this helps. The company stock trades under the symbol CTL.

3. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image95
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 5 years ago

Century Link is my internet service provider as well.  I sometimes see hub views from there - and someone once explained to me how that happens, but I forget what the explanation was.

1. 61
      hedcurtposted 5 years ago in reply to this

My mother in Arkansas has Century Link as her internet provider.

2. classicalgeek profile image87
      classicalgeekposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Views from an ISP typically work this way: someone types in a nonexistent URL into their web browser's direct address bar. A 404 (page not found) error is produced, and the ISP has modified it to produce their custom branded version of a 404 page. That page typically contains links it thinks would benefit the user, or branded search results of what the user has typed in, and the user then clicks on one of the links. Therefore your traffic comes from the ISP.

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image95
        Wesman Todd Shawposted 5 years ago in reply to this

WOW!  Thank you, Classicalgeek!  You clearly understand the ways of the web far better than I do.

4. MrHunter profile image60
    MrHunterposted 5 years ago

I delivered phone books for 'em. Century Link's just their latest name.

5. FloraBreenRobison profile image61
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 5 years ago

this explains so much to me. There are hubs whos etraffic  includes some sites I've never heard of of and I was freaking out about being plagerized, even while being puzzled as to how  my hub topics would have anything to do with sites that have a title that has nothing to do with my subject choices.

6. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

I'm getting to the point where I don't want to check for stolen articles anymore..the funny part is some that are stolen aren't money makers and few views..

7. Cardisa profile image90
    Cardisaposted 5 years ago

Thanks everyone, I had no idea it was a search engine. I saw the link in my stats and was curious.