jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)

Can anyone recommend a VPS company?

1. Mark Knowles profile image60
    Mark Knowlesposted 8 years ago

Hi all,

I know many pof you have your own websites and blogs etc, so can any one recommend a not-too-expensive hosting company that offers supported VPS hosting?

2. terenceyap07 profile image60
    terenceyap07posted 8 years ago

Are you referring to Virtual Private Server hosting, Mark?

3. Mark Knowles profile image60

That is exactly what I mean terence. smile

Or "Virtual Dedicated Server" as they sometimes call it.

4. pauldeeds profile image
    pauldeedsposted 8 years ago

They don't do virtualization, but if you want an entire dedicated machine that you can do whatever you want with, I've had pretty good luck with m5 hosting.

5. Mark Knowles profile image60

Thanks Paul,

This is a little above my technical skill level lol

I can barely work out what to do with a MySQL database without an hour-long phone call to the help desk. I am hoping to find something in between this and shared hosting. I understood VPS was a suitable compromise, but I have no experience of it, and wondered if any one else did.

I can't afford a full on supported dedicated server either sad

1. Bonnie Ramsey profile image89
      Bonnie Ramseyposted 8 years ago in reply to this

The VPS is above my technical skill and not sure if they are capable of this but I have built several sites with siterightnow.com. They have just a basic website package for $9.99 per month, which is what I have now but used to have their unlimited plan and it was only $24.95 per month.

Their controls panels are easy to use and they don't use a "template", they use background pages (lots to shoose from or upload your own), lots of different button styles and things to personalize it and not look like a stamped website. You don't even need to know html code. You type in what you want in the box, save it and the system codes it for you.

To me, the customer service was worth the monthly fee in itself! I have never once had to call customer service because I would just shoot an email to them with my question and within a few minutes, I got a reply! They are very helpful and affordable.

Now, the basic I have now has like a 9 or 10 page limit but you can add subpages to those so it really is a lot of web space. However, when I built my first site, I had about a dozn different dropship supplirs and about 20,000 different products so I needed the unlimited.

I am sure that they could answer any questions you have about their capabilities concerning vps if you call or email them. The link is http://www.siterightnow.com and there is contact info there whether you prefer phone or email. Hope this is helpful!

Oh, forgot to tell you that in over two years of using them, my site has NEVER been down. That's pretty impressive to me since many sites are down almost weekly (some daily lol).

6. Mark Knowles profile image60

Thanks Bonnie,

I already have a plan similar to that, and want to try the next level, which I understand is a Virtual Dedicated Server or Virtual Private Server. I am not sure who to use though, and wondered if any one could make a recommendation.

But thanks anyway smile

1. Bonnie Ramsey profile image89
      Bonnie Ramseyposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Anytime, Mark! Sorry I couldn't help. I googled it to see if any listings came up sine I wasn't sure of the capabilities of it and a list did come up but I am sure you are looking for someone who has used these services before. I'll ask around and if I find someone who is using this type of provider, I'll get the info from them and post it. Good luck!

7. 59
    rajat_khanna77posted 6 years ago

are you looking for virtuozzo based or xen based virtual servers , if you are looking for virtuozzo based virtual server try looking at ucvhost.com