jump to last post 1-22 of 22 discussions (49 posts)

How big is your English vocabulary?

1. kerryg profile image87
    kerrygposted 5 years ago

Just took this interesting quiz and came out with an estimated vocabulary of 32,700 English words - a bit lower than I would have liked. Time to crack the books, I guess. tongue

What's your score?

http://www.testyourvocab.com/

1. tobey100 profile image59
      tobey100posted 5 years ago in reply to this

No too big I'm afraid.  I was born in Alabama and live in Tennessee.  It's a wonder I can even read!

1. LeslieAdrienne profile image81
        LeslieAdrienneposted 5 years ago in reply to this

lol

2. Gillme profile image60
      Gillmeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Mine won't be too bad comparing others in my grade , I'm in 8th grade. So....
      But if i do a contest or go in like...national spelling b then u could say I'm out! smile

1. WriteAngled profile image92
        WriteAngledposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I assume being eighth grade means you are a schoolchild. If this is so, you are not permitted to have an account here. Only adults aged 18 years or older can become members of Hubpages

http://hubpages.com/help/user_agreement

1. Gillme profile image60
          Gillmeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'm only using hub when ther's an adult IN the room (duh) !

1. Uninvited Writer profile image83
            Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You are still not allowed to be a member.

2. Extinct Soul profile image60
            Extinct Soulposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Or you could atleast accept the fact that you're old and stop pretensions..

3. LeslieAdrienne profile image81

Gillme

Where do you get off insulting other adults? And, what does the presence of an adult have to do with you violating the rules?

See, this is the problem... your are not permitted to be here, the adult in the room is allowing you to be disobedient. Now, when you turn 15 and start acting a fool, that adult is going to wonder why....

Well, they can place the blame first on themselves... the fact is, that adult is training you to disregard rules, conduct yourself in a disrespectful manner and is acting irresponsibly. 

P.S. I really don't care if you like what I'm saying, in fact, I hope you get angry enough to go on a more suitable age appropriate site.

3. LeslieAdrienne profile image81

I had to be honest because although I could pronounce the majority of the words and have seen many in print... I had to only check those that I actually could give a definition for....

2. EmpressFelicity profile image82
    EmpressFelicityposted 5 years ago

34,900. Great quiz.

3. WriteAngled profile image92
    WriteAngledposted 5 years ago

I'm wondering how accurate the estimate can be, given the small number of test words.

1. tobey100 profile image59
      tobey100posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Me too, 39,700.  Wonder if we knew the same words?

Well, uxoricide was among mine.

I was curious to see if there is an antonym, but could not find one on searching. I suppose it would be maritusicide, which is a bit of a tongue twister.

Out of interest, I went back to the test and checked every word as known. The result for vocabulary size came to 45,000. Given the blurb on the side says the OED has 300,000 entries, that seems to be a very small proportion of the theoretical total, even allowing for derivatives.

kerrygposted 5 years ago in reply to this

They talk about that on their FAQ and methodolgy pages, which are a rather interesting read. Basically, there aren't that many "general" vocabulary words beyond 45,000; it's mostly archaic, scientific, and technical terms.

They also didn't test for things like country/city names, which would instantly raise all our scores by thousands, or derivatives (i.e. quick, quickly, quicker; jump, jumped, jumping).

That implies an interesting value judgement on their part. Words such as "portmanteau" or "lothario" are unlikely to be known by many younger people who have probably not been fed as intense a diet of 19th and early 20th century literature at school as I was in the 1960s-1970s. In fact, I would class such words as archaic.

On the other hand, these younger people are probably familiar with numerous modern scientific and technical terms that are not included in the test and thus their vocabularies may well be very much larger than is being reported.

4. 0
    adeaugustusposted 5 years ago

words
    I should have done better

5. classicalgeek profile image87
    classicalgeekposted 5 years ago

Server crashes when I try, on the first page. I guess they just didn't expect me to know both "mawkish" and "uxoricide." That's why I get for taking Latin and reading so many Victorian novels.

I had to use the back arrow several times to get back to the completed first page because the second page would not load. Eventually it did load, and then I had to do the same to move on from the second page. Luckily, backtracking does not wipe the answers.

2. classicalgeek profile image87
      classicalgeekposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Ah, finally. 42,800. Pathetic. sad Back to the books.

6. livelonger profile image89
    livelongerposted 5 years ago

30,200 sad

7. Uninvited Writer profile image83
    Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago

8. kerryg profile image87
    kerrygposted 5 years ago

Okay, I am having way too much fun with this and just did the test with the kids I have hanging around today.

My 4 year old daughter got 6,020, and I think could have gotten higher, but she started losing interest partway through the second page.

My 9 year old niece, who's a native English speaker herself, but whose parents are not, got 10,300.

My 14 year old nephew, who arrived in this country 4 years ago speaking very little English, got 23,300, which is well above the average for his age and in the top few percentage points for non-native speakers as well. \o/ It's amazing what a little reading will do! He wasn't much of a reader when he arrived, but then he discovered the wonders of fantasy novels and has never looked back. smile

My 6 year old nephew, who arrived in this country two years ago without speaking a word of English, is already up to 5,520! The speed of language acquisition at that age is really phenomenal. I'm jealous. smile

Those are marvellous results!

Fantasy is often denigrated. As an avid reader of fantasy, I'm really pleased to see the positive influence you mention. smile

kerrygposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I wish he'd read a little more variety, especially in nonfiction and the classics, but as a fantasy fan myself, I can't complain too much. Good fantasy is as good as any other genre, imho - I agree that it's often unfairly denigrated.

I think other genres and non-fiction will come. There will come a time when he will want something a bit different for a change now and then. smile

9. 0
    Emile Rposted 5 years ago

35,700. I'm going to have to pass that link on. Great quiz.

10. Cagsil profile image61
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

Page won't load on my end. Oh well. lol

1. 0
      Home Girlposted 5 years ago in reply to this

What particular end are you  loading it in, Cagsil? May be it's the wrong one... big_smile

1. Cagsil profile image61
        Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

roll

It's called click on link and page won't load. Your sarcasm or joke, whichever, isn't necessary.

11. kirstenblog profile image79
    kirstenblogposted 5 years ago

Without taking the text I assume my vocabulary is roughly 1 mile by 12 with a weight of 600 tons....

well you did ask how big it was! tongue

12. 0
    Home Girlposted 5 years ago

Sorry, Cags, I thought my jokes are always safe with you. It's my fig's leaf against reality. I do not have any English vocabulary, do not even dare to check! http://www.pic4ever.com/images/devil.gif

13. 0
    Sherlock221bposted 5 years ago

I'd rather not say, on the grounds that it might make me look stupid.

14. Cagsil profile image61
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

Finally got the link to work and as I expected, my vocabulary is limited to 20,500 words.

1. 0
      Emile Rposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hey cagsil. You may be limited to 20,500 words, but you use those words well. smile

1. Cagsil profile image61
        Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thank you kindly Emile. smile I'm humbled. smile

15. 0
    Home Girlposted 5 years ago

I usually use same words in different combinations until I get something that closely resembles to my thoughts in a different language. Sometimes I have no idea what language do I use for thinking!

Hah, I sometimes forget what language I'm translating out of...   mid-translation!

Then I suddenly realise that the dictionary I'm searching in makes no sense whatsoever, because I'm translating out of Slovenian not Polish, or whatever... LOL!

16. K9keystrokes profile image92
    K9keystrokesposted 5 years ago

41,600...out of 300,000; this just hurts! sad

17. Extinct Soul profile image60
    Extinct Soulposted 5 years ago

for foreign learners of English the average is 2,500–9,000

I got 10,100..whew! I better play on the Forums more often...

18. AEvans profile image70
    AEvansposted 5 years ago

Your total vocabulary size is estimated to be:
    words smile Interesting but many of those words were easy. sad There testing was peculiar.

19. Rosie2010 profile image82
    Rosie2010posted 5 years ago

Hol-ly!  All those high scorers!

I only got 19,400 - no espeeka engles hahahahaha!

good thing I fall under "foreign learners of English" phew!

20. glassvisage profile image84
    glassvisageposted 5 years ago

Ha ha! 21,700 words for this journalism graduate! smile
    Thanks for the quiz!

21. 0
    DoorMattnomoreposted 5 years ago

I got to page two and felt stupid. I have a firm grasp on words like, "eat" and "sit", as well as many words considered "vulgar" or "slang". I will get out a dictionary to read while perusing the list later. I do not know as many words as I would like to know.

22. Shadesbreath profile image90
    Shadesbreathposted 5 years ago

I got an 8.

1. 0
      DoorMattnomoreposted 5 years ago in reply to this

sweet. 8 is great.

1. Shadesbreath profile image90
        Shadesbreathposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Huh?

big_smile

1. 0
          DoorMattnomoreposted 5 years ago in reply to this

what?  wink

I was going to say.."sorry, I like lame rhymes."

but then I thought you might be joking.....

1. Shadesbreath profile image90
            Shadesbreathposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I had faith. Jokes only work if you trust people to get them.

working