Man without medical insurance performs Self Surgery

1. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

GLENDALE, Calif. — A 63-year-old California man was recovering in the hospital on Tuesday after trying to fix a hernia in his stomach with a six-inch butter knife, police said.
    The man's wife called police to say her husband was sick and tired of waiting to get surgery for his rupture and decided to take matters into his own hands on Sunday evening, Glendale Police Sgt. Tom Lorenz told
    When officers arrived at the couple's apartment, they discovered the man, naked and sprawled out on a lawnchair, with a butter knife protruding from his abdomen, Lorenz said. The man was cooperative and even pulled out the knife when asked, he said.
    "As an officer, we are told that no call will be the same and to always expect the worst — from the dumbest thing in the world to carnage," said Lorenz, adding. "This falls somewhere in between."
    The man, whose name was not released, was admitted into the Los Angeles County USC Medical Center's psychiatric ward.
    "Whether they have insurance or not is not a matter anymore, seeing that he is in the care of the county," Lorenz said. "Because of that, he will get the removal or repair of the hernia at taxpayers' expense." … ?gt1=43001

this made me laugh and wince at the same time, the poor man is so desperate ; or maybe smart,since the taxpayers will now foot the bill smile

1. IzzyM profile image84
      IzzyMposted 5 years ago in reply to this

he's not the first to do this or something similar. People are at least semi-educated nowadays, they have greater expectations but when they are in constant pain and constantly told that their name is on a waiting list, they will be dealt with when it is their turn, or even that they must put up or shut up, can you really blame anyone for trying self-surgery?

As an aside, I once had really bad toothache. I called the dentist but he couldn't see me until the next day. So I thought I'd try to do the things I had read about in kids' comic books - pair of pliers, yank the tooth out myself.

Haha! Ever felt what happens when you put metal against metal (filling) inside your mouth???