Adsense-related question

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (16 posts)
  1. SPomposello profile image68
    SPomposelloposted 12 years ago

I was reading that Google will know if you clicked one of your ads from a different computer with a different IP address. For example, you go to work and go to one of your articles on your work computer and click an ad. It's the same as going to an internet cafe and doing it there, basically.

I don't see how this is possible though, that they would know. If the person went on the work computer at their job, browsed the site for like 5-10 minutes and then clicked *one* ad and that was it... how could Google possibly know WHO it is in that scenario?

Not talking about "click-bombing", mind you, but just one single ad click after 10 minutes of browsing the site on a different computer with a different IP address that is not inside your own house. I don't see anything suspicious about that, it could be anybody clicking that one ad for all they know.

Thoughts?

1. vox vocis profile image82
      vox vocisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Forget it. The risk is not worth a click or two. Anyway, the one who doesn't worry about a click or two is the one who actually earns. So, let the process go spontaneously and try to learn about how to achieve what you want in the meantime (legally, of course smile)

2. stuff4you profile image59
    stuff4youposted 12 years ago

google might create a profile with data gathered from each user of adsense.
    it might contain this info:

what web sites they visit regularly, especially email addresses you check or online banking

they might factor this info with location as well.

Where did you read this about google?

I agree that it still sounds far fetched even with what I added .

1. SPomposello profile image68
      SPomposelloposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, that sounds OCD far-fetched lol. I read it from this link:

http://hackyourblog.blogspot.com/2009/1 … licks.html

3. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

I don't think they could know if you used a cybercafe without logging into anything. But a work computer you have used to log into a Google site, they probably could.

Not worth it for one or two clicks IMHO.

4. stuff4you profile image59
    stuff4youposted 12 years ago

If you even felt nervous about giving yourself 1 or 2 clicks, just don't. you don't even get much per adsense click anyways. enough people get banned from that already.

I'm not giving this advice to the OP but rather, anyone who would consider clicking ads on their own site.

Its a little too selfish to begin with, unless the company is obviously unethical all around.

5. profile image0
    TopUniverseposted 12 years ago

Google is genius they will catch you over time.

1. Eve Foss profile image71
      Eve Fossposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have read that they invalidate clicks that are suspicious. For example, clicks where the user does not really seem interested, clicks from a computer that only end up on one account and not random ones, etc. They may not know you clicked it, but they won't consider them valid.

6. KeithTax profile image73
    KeithTaxposted 12 years ago

Are you nuts!?

Why risk your account over such unethical and illegal activity. It is stealing. Get it.

Instead, write more quality hubs people want to come back to again and send friends to read.

7. shafmasta profile image56
    shafmastaposted 12 years ago

No KeithTax you've understood wrong. I don't think SPomposello is trying to click their own ads on another computer but just the thought of how they would know who is clicking the ads. Obviously, if someone is going to click on an ad who might be reading an article of a someone on hubpages, how would google know if that ad click was valid or not. It maybe that the a number of ads are constantly clicked on with the same IP.

8. CarpetDiem profile image71
    CarpetDiemposted 12 years ago

Google knows EVERYTHING. They even know what you are thinking about right this second! They know what you had for breakfast two days ago.
    smile
    Just kidding. But seriously, don't do something that you know is wrong, whether or not you think you can get away with it.
    I don't know if they would penalize you for it or just ignore it, but why take the risk?

9. jtyler profile image60
    jtylerposted 12 years ago

I'm not sure exactly how they do it, but you shouldn't really do it anyway.  I'm not saying that you will, I'm just saying in general.  The real money comes from getting a lot of traffic anyway.  If you get a thousand views a day and one tenth of a percent click on Ads, you get one click a day.  I believe the more views you get, the more money you get from clicks.

10. Bill Yovino profile image88
    Bill Yovinoposted 12 years ago

I'm starting to think this whole Adsense thing is a scam. I've never earned much, but always had some earnings. I haven't earned a single penny from them in three months. I've looked and looked and can't find a way to contact them regarding this. All links seem to end up in a dead end.

If I opt-out, does Hubpages put more ads on the pages to replace them? My Hubpages earnings have been pretty steady.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image59
      MelissaBarrettposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm pretty sure you have to have an adsense account to do HP ads.  Opting out without clarification might be a bad idea.

11. prasetio30 profile image69
    prasetio30posted 12 years ago

I thought we all know this if we have adsense account. Many people called this "black hat technique", where we get earning from adsense by clicking our own ads. It's against Google TOS. So, don't ever close to this technique though it looks impossible Google will know what have we done before. Just play safety.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)