Social Button Hysteria

1. Greg Sage profile image61
    Greg Sageposted 5 years ago

I am the least likely person I know to be taking on what I'm about to launch.  I have a facebook page I've seen a total of twice in the past few years.  I had never even heard the term "retweet" until today.  Frankly, I still don't understand what Twitter is or why anyone would want to be subjected to someone else's constant chatter.

And yet...

I am launching a site where social media sharing is the backbone of the entire concept.  I suppose you could relate it to something like, only with a specific niche focus.

So... the front page is full of teasers, and each teaser has social media sharing buttons.  Each teaser leads to a permalink which has a video, some description, comments, voting, etc... and LOTS of buttons.

So here's where I'm gathering some perspective.  There's limited space in each teaser, so I can only have a few buttons.  I THINK what I want is  tweet, like, and +1 button in each teaser.  Frankly, I still don't know the difference between a tweet and a retweet button, but reading up...

For the actual video page, I figure I might as well have a crapload of buttons for whatever flavor of social bookmarking site or social media site fits the viewer.  Mind you, I still don't know a social bookmark from a youtube channel, but "Ready, Fire, Aim" has always suited me., and I learn quickly.

So... looking for any perspective here on certain buttons, why they matter or don't, if I should change lineup in teasers, key points to pay attention to...

... and the answers to all those questions I'm currently to ignorant to even ask.

Sock it to me.