jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

New to this and looking for some pointers???

1. 59
    donnalouiseposted 5 years ago

Hello,

looking for some help using this site, not only am i knew to this site but knew to writing hubs smile

1. ThePracticalMommy profile image93
      ThePracticalMommyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Start by poking around in the Learning Center. http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/contents
      There you can find many articles to get you started. Lots of luck!

1. Sally's Trove profile image98
        Sally's Troveposted 5 years ago in reply to this

This is good advice. And also, if you don't know the difference between new and knew, then your English needs a lot of work.

1. ThePracticalMommy profile image93
          ThePracticalMommyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Don't forget the importance of capitalizing the personal pronoun 'I', the first word of a sentence, using punctuation... I didn't want to point out the homophone mistakes before, but you're absolutely right, Sally's Trove!
          To be recognized as a 'good' writer here on HubPages, donnalouise, it's important to edit before you publish or write a forum topic. Again, lots of luck!

2. Peter Owen profile image60
    Peter Owenposted 5 years ago

You need to check you spelling and punctuation on your hub if you want to make it as a writer. Also, tighten up you sentence structure.

3. Sally's Trove profile image98
    Sally's Troveposted 5 years ago

donnalouise, my heart goes out to you, for a number of reasons.

First, I have a dear cousin whose name is Donna Louise. smile And so I have an immediate affection for you via your name.

Second, I see that you have much you want to share, some of it very painful.

Third, HupPages is not a place for personal diary-type entries, unless you categorize them in "Fiction".

And last, this is a friendly place. There's lots of good conversation in the forums and also an opportunity to engage with others through their comments to your Hubs and your comments to theirs. All of this takes time.

For now, you need to construct your Hubs with a view toward what you can give to, share with, others. This is not, NOT, a place to pour your heart out as if it were a chat room or a personal diary.

I encourage you to write here. It's a matter of using your life's knowledge and sharing its experiences with others because you have something to give, not because you only have a need to vent or take.

Best wishes to you...

4. 59
    donnalouiseposted 5 years ago

Hello,

Thank you for your responses, yes there is a lot I need to learn but enjoy writing short story's so thought this would be a great site to start.

I have deleted my hub as this was just a good place to express in a form I love; there was not much thought or care put into the English.

Thanks again for the advice smile

Donna

5. theirishobserver. profile image59
    theirishobserver.posted 5 years ago

Be yourself, dont pull any strokes and be gentle smile

working