jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Copyrighting Hubs

1. hutura profile image80
    huturaposted 5 years ago

Does anyone know how to go about copyrighting your hubs?

1. MelissaBarrett profile image59
      MelissaBarrettposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Your hubs are "copyrighted" the second they leave your mind.  They don't even have to be published to be protected.  You can REGISTER your copyright with the U.S. Copyright Office (if you are in the U.S.) or your local office if you are in another country.  It doesn't really provide you with a whole lot more protection than the origination date that is kept on each hub by hubpages though as it basically just provides an origination date.

Furthermore, just because something is copyrighted doesn't mean that any agency polices it.  It is still up to you to make sure that your work stays out of the hands of plagiarizers.

Here is the link to questions involving copyright in the U.S.

2. hutura profile image80
    huturaposted 5 years ago

Thanks for the information.

3. Marisa Wright profile image93
    Marisa Wrightposted 5 years ago

Melissa is right.  You don't need to do anything to copyright your work.  I usually put "Copyright Marisa Wright" at the end of my Hubs but it's not necessary - I only put it there to avoid misunderstanding.

The trouble is, all that does is prevent honest people innocently copying my Hub - which does happen, because some people assume HubPages is an article directory.  However most people who steal your article know exactly what they're doing!

The minute you put your writing on the internet, it's vulnerable, and the chances are it will be stolen and published by someone else.  It is possible to catch the thieves and make them remove your article, but it's time consuming - so the best advice is, don't post any work online that is precious to you.

1. Daffy Duck profile image59
      Daffy Duckposted 5 years ago in reply to this

That's s o true.  You can also do what others like me do and put at the bottom:   All Rights Reserved  "your name"  the date.  I also keep a copy of my hubs on my computer as well.

1. hutura profile image80
        huturaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Daffy Duck:

Sounds good to me.

2. hutura profile image80
      huturaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for the insight.