jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (12 posts)

Should I start Pinging Hubs again?

1. David 470 profile image86
    David 470posted 5 years ago

It's been a long time since I have pinged. Frankly, it may have been before panda update.

Would it help (or at least be a good idea) to ping because of the switch to sub domains, or would it likely make no difference in traffic?

Also, would I have to ping individual hubs or just the profile itself since we switched to sub domains? Sorry if this is dumb question lol...

1. thooghun profile image87
      thooghunposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I suppose pinging might improve indexing speed, but left to their own devices they are indexed very rapidly indeed. I don't understand the trend with regards to hubs, though I do for blogs, where it can take some time otherwise.

I wouldn't bother. Pinging might mean indexing takes hours, not pinging might mean a day. Not worth the effort.

2. rembrandz profile image87
      rembrandzposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks David 470 for the question. I learnt a lot from all the answers

2. Danette Watt profile image87
    Danette Wattposted 5 years ago

what does "pinging" mean?

1. Quilligrapher profile image89
      Quilligrapherposted 5 years ago in reply to this
  3. Victoria Lynn profile image89
    Victoria Lynnposted 5 years ago

I don't think it's a dumb question at all. I'm with Danette--I want to know what "pinging" means!

4. Danette Watt profile image87
    Danette Wattposted 5 years ago

ok, thanks, I think I understand generally how it works but will have to re-read it again later.

5. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image95
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 5 years ago

I'm totally lost on this subject.  I've been reading about "pinging" and I have no idea what that is even.

Could someone give me a brief description?  Can I download one of these "Pingers?"

I'm just lost on this one.  I just write about stuff on the web, and do some basic back linking.

6. Karen N profile image41
    Karen Nposted 5 years ago

Pinging is just a way of letting the search engines know that you've updated your blog.  Search engines like new content so hopefully this will get your site indexed quicker.

I usually use ping-o-matic for this but I do know that there several different ones that you can use.  When you get to the site just put in your blog name and URL then check off the services that you want to ping and that's all there is to it.

1. rembrandz profile image87
      rembrandzposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Karen N Thanks your suggestion helped. Wow didn't it was this easy.

2. Bubblegum Senpai profile image84
      Bubblegum Senpaiposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Dou just ping to your profile page, or to the new page you added?

1. iQwest profile image70
        iQwestposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I've used Ping-O-Matic and recently I've been using Pingler.  I'm certainly not an expert, but Pinging does alert the search engines that your page has been updated.

Most experts I've read believe that pinging should be used rather sparingly, primarily when you've made an update to one of your pages (some say a major update).

Again, I'm not an expert, but I'd be more inclined to ping your actual Hub upon publishing (or making an update) and not your profile page unless you've updated your profile summary.