jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)

It is legal to add a fake tiltle to your usner name ?

1. austere125rivers profile image61
    austere125riversposted 5 years ago

I like to create a username like Sir Youssef Doukkali, my name isn't even British, but I don't know if it is permitted or not ?
    Second question: do you think it is better to make a user name that shows my ethnic background (Moroccan)  or should I opt for a more generic name?
    Thanks a lot

1. tobey100 profile image61
      tobey100posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I don't think they'll let you use 'GOD' or anything XXX rated but other than that, have at it!

2. 0
    will345davisposted 5 years ago

I'm pretty sure that you can have whatever name you choose as long as it isn't offensive. As far as showing your background is concerned, I'd go with whatever makes you happiest. You run the risk of maybe alienating some readers, but anyone who's willing to dismiss someone's writing based on their ethnicity is worth worrying about.

3. Lisa HW profile image84
    Lisa HWposted 5 years ago

People do whatever they want, but I know that I'm more likely to be alienated by those cookie-cutter people who think that creating (what they believe is) an "appealing" identity but who are clearly fake.  There is no nationality or real name that would ever make me not-read someone's stuff.  What makes me not-read people's stuff is when they (for example) write a profile that is obviously written with the hope of creating an appealing character, find a phony picture that would seem to go with it, and then write stuff that is obviously unlikely to have been written by the person they pretend to be.   Being yourself shows through.  Being fake shows through more than a lot of people realize.

There's something to be said for just "being" your own, genuine, (Moroccan, in your case) self and going with it.

As for the "sir" thing, HP (and a lot of other places) already have a "sir" or too.   lol   Apparently, that's funny (or appealing) to some people who are thinking up their names.  lol  As someone from a country where "sir" isn't "some official thing", and where most people see it as something nobody takes very seriously, I'd say to call yourself whatever you want.  People will likely think you're just trying to be funny with your name.  (Then again, if you want readers to to take your writing seriously, maybe an "un-funny" user name would work better.)   smile

4. Reality Bytes profile image93
    Reality Bytesposted 5 years ago

Darn it I should have took "MASTER OF THE UNIVERSE".

It's always been my dream :LOL:

5. I am DB Cooper profile image65
    I am DB Cooperposted 5 years ago

If I'm not the real D.B. Cooper, I invite him to come forward and sue me.

1. tobey100 profile image61
      tobey100posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Excellent example DB

6. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

The only thing to avoid would be limited titles that unqualified people are legally barred from (solicitor, doctor). And even then they odds you would actually be prosecuted are fairly small unless you are trying to mislead people and give legal/medical advice.

7. 2uesday profile image88
    2uesdayposted 5 years ago

If you are trying to create a writer's identity and you are going to put a lot of work into the articles you publish, then it is a good idea to think carefully about the profile name you select.

Some people write under their own names and are happy to do so, others have possibly come to regret using their real name.

It depends what you want to write about as well, really does n't it?

BTW. The name you have suggested is a lot to remember and to type in if someone wanted to search for articles.