jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Why so many junk Articles on Hubpages?

1. maxravi profile image3
    maxraviposted 5 years ago

I am really frustrated with so many junk and unwanted articles on hp.when I go to see latest articles on hubpages.I can see a list of articles which people just written like that, I guess there only motives is to earn money from ads.What I really suggest that moderators and admins introduce some kind of rating which can make that particular hub unpublished after certain members of hubpages flagged it.
    The biggest problems we as a readers have is to find it difficult to browse a nice hubs in tonnes of junk articles.It waster a lot of time.
    presently we have some feature like flag this article, I am not sure how much applicable it is in this case.

2. sofs profile image87
    sofsposted 5 years ago

Feel free to flag poor quality hubs, the moderators will review them and act accordingly.

1. tobey100 profile image61
      tobey100posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Ditto sofs.  That's what the flag is for.  Not necessarily 'cause you didn't like the hub however.

3. Lisa HW profile image82
    Lisa HWposted 5 years ago

This question brings to mind the saying, "One man's junk is another man's treasure."  There's flagging for Hubs that are "substandard", as defined by HP (things like poorly translated, copied, offering no original content/information and only links to stuff for sale, spun, etc.). 

I think most readers who have a certain type of article in mind know to either do something like a Google search for their specific subject (although even then, there's going to be some wading through junk), find a book, or go to a subject-specific site.  A Hub that's done right will show up in the search engines anyway; so usually (I think) if people just come to a site like this, where they know there's a big, general, mix of stuff; they know they'll be browsing (in other words, wading through) a bunch of stuff that may not interest them.  Granted, however, it isn't the easiest site for someone who wants to find nothing but top-quality articles/writing as quickly as possible.  For a lot of people who just want to browse for reading, though, reading isn't a "big emergency" anyway.

4. maxravi profile image3
    maxraviposted 5 years ago

Thanks tobey100 and sofs for your reply.
    I really was talking hubs which was written purely for commercial purposes and contain nothing but promotion.Anyway I will use flag now as a option to inform it to mods.

1. CMHypno profile image90
      CMHypnoposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Writing hubs for commercial purposes is not against the TOS, and there are rules in place that don't allow any more than two links to the same site, and there are affiliate site that cannot be linked to at all.

Many people write here just to make money, and that is absolutely fine. HP allows for all sorts of writers and reasons for writing.

However, if a hub is substandard or duplicate, like the others have said, flag away! smile

1. Lisa HW profile image82
        Lisa HWposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Agreed.  Too many people are too quick to call Hubs "junk" just because they don't happen to be their personal idea of what a Hub "out to be".   There are some really good-quality "commercial" Hubs; and there's sure a bunch of junk  in Hubs that aren't intended to be commercial.  It all just depends on the individual Hub, but also (often) on the individual reader (and even on what someone feels like reading at any given time).

5. sofs profile image87
    sofsposted 5 years ago

I am in total agreement with CMHypno, commercial hubs are not always poorly written or substandard. It is only substandard or poorly spun/translated/unreadable stuff that needs to be flagged. Please look up the FAQ section for substandard and violations and you will know what kind of hubs need to be flagged.

1. manthy profile image83
      manthyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You can flag them, and that is about it.
      Maybe you should send em a link to one of your hubs so they can see what they are supposed to be doing.
      IDK I do understand your frustration, that is why I usually just follow the same hubbers