jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Why not have a Capstone Hub Challenge?

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
    Marisa Wrightposted 5 years ago

With all the changes at HubPages, I'd like to suggest a Capstone Hub Challenge.  I'm not suggesting HubPages revive the paid Capstone Hub program, just that it could be perfect as the basis for a Challenge.   

Darkside explains how the program worked in the Hub below:

Basically, you write a group of Hubs around a single topic, then "cap" them off with an "overview" Hub including summaries of all the "sub-Hubs".  I feel that would be particularly useful with all the recent changes.

Firstly, it encourages Hubbers to create a solid body of work around one topic within their sub-domain, which Google likes. 

Secondly, it means Hubbers can be less concerned about the prominence of "Related Hubs" in the new layout - because if you write a lot of Hubs about one topic, all using the same tags, there's a good chance your own Hubs will dominate the Related Hubs section.

Thirdly, some Hubbers are concerned about the more limited range of Hubs displayed on the proposed new Profile page.  Creating a Capstone Hub for each of our main subject areas would solve that problem - we can feature our Capstones, which would make it easy for readers to navigate around all our Hubs.

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image82
      Kangaroo_Jaseposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Marisa, I certainly feel this is a great idea regardless. Capstone hubs are a great way to cross promote a subject, and a range of articles on that specific subject and sure, if my own Hubs came up more often in the 'related hubs' section of the site, I know I would be happy about that!

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
        Marisa Wrightposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It occurred to me after reading some of the feedback on the proposed new profile, but I also think it's a good idea regardless.

When I did the 60 Day Challenge (which involved writing 30 Hubs), I decided to write them all on the same broad subject, with several sub-topics, and I found it really motivating.

I actually published the Capstone Hub first, saying "this is what I'm going to write about", then added each Hub link and summary as I wrote it.  It was really nice to see it grow!

2. RedElf profile image84
    RedElfposted 5 years ago

Great idea, with or without paid program, and certainly better for our readers. Thanks, Marisa!