What Would Help You Writer Better/More Often?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (22 posts)
  1. melbel profile image94
    melbelposted 12 years ago

What is something that would help you write better or make you write more often? It can be anything: a moleskin notepad, a delicious chocolate cookie, kind words, etc?

For example, I spend a great deal of my day at Starbucks, but my laptop does not have wireless. (My sister bought it from Circuit City and the wireless card broke, she took it in during their liquidation, they pretended to fix it, and didn't.) A new wireless umm thingie would be great so I can tippy type away on a hub or a blog post while I'm sipping on a latte. I think I'll have to ask Santa... (aka my own bank account) for that or a new laptop for Christmas.

A little cheapie 50c notepad, now that I've mentioned it, would be a great way to jot down quick ideas that I have when I'm on the go. I'll have to snag one next time I'm at the checkout!

What would increase your productivity?
    If your answer is "kind words" then, "you're awesome!" (But you didn't need to hear it from me)

I figured this would be a fun thread so we could be like, "Yeah, that would totally help me! Great idea! I never thought of that!"

1. Ms Dee profile image86
      Ms Deeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Melbel, what I've been doing lately is listening to YouTube on topics of high interest to me. When I hear something that is a surprising fact, i.e. something that grabs me, I then start writing the info I hear on that YouTube and also go research it a bit online at other sources. Just an idea I'm trying lately. I'm the type who really has to be inspired about something to write about it. Hard to write just about anything, which makes it hard sometimes.

2. Brie Hoffman profile image59
      Brie Hoffmanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

More Money!

3. healinghands1668 profile image64
      healinghands1668posted 12 years agoin reply to this

A proper desk and chair so I don't have to sit on the couch with the computer on my lap all the time. Plus a cup of coffee or a can of soda and some tasty finger food. Also, kittens would be nice.

1. healinghands1668 profile image64
        healinghands1668posted 12 years agoin reply to this

And music. Music is good.

2. MelissaBarrett profile image59
    MelissaBarrettposted 12 years ago

A babysitter.  Oh and I need a new mouse as well, the little pad thingie on the laptop is annoying.  And more coffee, lots more coffee...

But you can tell me I'm wonderful... It couldn't hurt smile

3. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

This won't be the fun answer you had in mind (hmm) but...

A lawyer licensed to practice civil law in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.  (Long story)

Other than that, I have everything I need to be productive.  In fact, it's kind of a miracle (to me anyway) that under my circumstances I'm able to find ways to squeeze out the "extra time" I do from my offline endeavors and earn my measly few/several extra hundred dollars a month by writing online (here and wherever else).

(Boy, I wish a fifty-cent notebook were all I needed.   hmm )

4. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 12 years ago

1. Less procrastination.
    2. A good (verbal) kick up the backside
    3. More financial incentive. I belong mainly to the Dr Johnson school of writing (as in "No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money", although I occasionally manage to crank out stuff written just because I wanted to write it, with no thought for potential financial reward).

5. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

Write better.  Put more effort in, from idea - through keyword and competition research - to content delivery.  Sounds not very writerly?  Well I am theoretically here to make some money.

Write more often.  Disable all stats.  HubPages, Analytics, Adsense, Amazon.  I seem to spend 95% of my available time checking stats instead of just writing.

6. shogan profile image76
    shoganposted 12 years ago

I need to start feeling like it matters.  I love to write, and I have plenty to say, but I struggle at times with whether there's a point to it.  I'm not sure why that roadblock comes up so often for me.

Oh, and coffee.

7. classicalgeek profile image83
    classicalgeekposted 12 years ago

A maid, and some help backlinking and doing keyword research. And a few more clients in my day job.

1. Ms Dee profile image86
      Ms Deeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Heehee!  Ditto here, too!

8. tlpoague profile image79
    tlpoagueposted 12 years ago

To begin for me, I would have to say...I want my quiet time back. I thought when my kids were done with school and set out on their own that I would have quiet time to focus on improving my writing. What I have found is that it doesn't work out as planned.
    I do keep a notebook next to my bed and other areas in the house so that if I am hit with an idea or saying, I can jot it down to use later. (My son recently gave me some entertaining quotes the other day in the hospital.)
    Right now, I am being lazy. I have four hubs in production, but no desire to write. Guess I need to give myself a kick in the shorts and get to work.

9. Nickalooch profile image60
    Nickaloochposted 12 years ago

Not being in school would be big ol' numero uno for me. Then not procrastinating, and more importantly when I read a book in my free time I've noticed that's when I write the best.

10. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years ago

I believe passion is the key ingredient, without it, maybe writing is not your calling

just a thought

smile

11. melbel profile image94
    melbelposted 12 years ago

A hub buddy would be nice! Like someone who will jab me and make sure I complete my goal and then I could jab the person and say, "Did you complete your goal?"

Of course, I could never like press someone to complete their goal because I'd feel bad... no matter how nice I was about it. Also, if I didn't complete mine, I'd feel like dirt. Lol, so that's that!

Guh! Someone doing backlinking for me would be fantasmagore!

12. Just Ask Susan profile image90
    Just Ask Susanposted 12 years ago

A new computer chair would be great.

13. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

How about if Edweirdo or someone develops a filter (available for individuals Hubbers to purchase) that would prevent posting in the forums unless we (I) have published a Hub in the last ____ days.  lol  Or something similar.  That is, some sort of enforcer that we can set to suit our own needs.

14. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years ago

pen and paper

15. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 12 years ago

A free weekend may be? I've already forgot what it means to have free time for myself. Have to work on that, I guess...

16. aware profile image67
    awareposted 12 years ago

voice recognition

17. Bard of Ely profile image79
    Bard of Elyposted 12 years ago

In a word: money!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)