Hub Feeds: Yes or No?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (48 posts)
  1. Sally's Trove profile image78
    Sally's Troveposted 12 years ago

I really can't point any of you to the many discussions there were about whether RSS feeds that display our own Hubs in a specific Hub of ours are a violation of the HP rules or not.

I read info that the "best", "latest", and "hot" categories were not appropriate to add to a Hub, as in, "Here's the Latest from Sally's Trove," while an RSS capsule was OK to use if the links in it were on topic with the content of the Hub.

A few minutes ago, I ran my Hubs through the "Check for violations now" feature, and none of them came up flagged, even though a few have those best-latest-hot feeds.

What's the word these days from HP on using those best-latest-hot feeds? I've taken most of them out, but I'm wondering if I should put them back in.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Excellent question! 

I know several people who had Hubs unpublished for using best-latest-hot feeds during the big moderating push earlier this year.  However, it occurs to me that because all our Hubs are now part of one sub-domain, that may no longer be a problem.  It would certainly be nice to know.

Sally's Troveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'd like that clarification from HP, too. I did remove most best-latest-hot feeds from my Hubs, specifically because some Hubbers had been penalized earlier on, but now I'm thinking I didn't have to remove those feeds. Some feds did remain on my Hubs until I made a final sweep yesterday and got rid of all of them, but while those feeds remained on my Hubs, no Hubs were ever penalized.

I think we'd like to hear from HP on this.

2. tlpoague profile image80
    tlpoagueposted 12 years ago

That is a good question! I read where they were going to ban RSS feed, but then didn't see the results of that. Later I asked about it and was told that it would be ok to personalize the RSS feed to link common hubs together. (I try to RSS all my Bigfoot hubs together.) Honestly, I have no idea if it is a volation or not, but so far I have not been told not to use them.

3. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

All you have to do is wait until a hub has been published for a few days - and THEN add on an RSS feed.  That way the fool that moderates it that would normally mark it as a violation despite the thousands of poor hubs that they should be looking at. . . never sees it.

LOL, Wes! 

The trouble with that approach is that moderators don't look at newly published Hubs, they look at them when they get around to them.  As I've said before, I think we'd avoid a lot of the cr@p that's on this site if they did look at newly published Hubs as a priority, but that's another story.

The thing with RSS feeds of "latest", "hot" etc is that there's no point in feeling clever about bypassing HubPages rules if you harm your Hub as a result.

The advice used to be that it was a bad idea to have a RSS feed of Hubs about unrelated topics.  Google doesn't like sites that have a bunch of random unrelated links.

However, I'm not at all sure that's an issue any more.  After all, all our Hubs are now clearly related because they're all part of the same sub-domain, so having a "latest" or "best" listing is just like having a list of recent posts on a blog.  The only downside might be that if you have long summaries, you could dilute your keywords.

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
        Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah - I know about the. . . confusing the adverts with the RSS thing - that does bother me.

What bothers me more is that some of the first hubs that I ever published here still have an RSS feed on them with totally unrelated links - and those were NEVER flagged!!!!

Maybe I should remove them?  Hell, I can't just write guitar and music related hubs only!  I get really sick of that (despite enjoying it).

I think they should just do away with the RSS feed, personally.

We can always include links to our most relevant hubs with individual link capsules.  I'm told that we can customize RSS feeds, but I never learned how.

How bout they make the RSS Feed software to where it can pick our most relevant hubs?  We'd all win then, right?

Yes, at one time I thought they'd hit everyone but since then I've realized it was pretty inconsistent.

Before the sub-domain switch, I'd have said yes.  Now, frankly I've got no idea!

Yes, that would be nice!

1. Neerizzle profile image71
            Neerizzleposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wait so we're not allowed to add RSS feeds to our hubs? I just discovered those capsules and figured since they were there I would use them lol I guess not? MY RSS displays my latest hubs... should I get rid of it to be on the safe side?

See - the thing is, they can flag and unpublish your hub for having "un related links" in the RSS Feed!

My thoughts are that they are always related because they are the publications of a hubpages author. . .

Basically - it's a matter of whether or not your latest hubs are on similar or related topics.

So when my personal RSS Feed has links to hubs about guitars, and then links to hubs about something historical or political - they flag the hub for "un related links."

It's rather inconsistent, sometimes I'm flagged for that stuff, sometimes I'm not - there's obviously no sort of real system.

1. janderson99 profile image54
                janderson99posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Who is 'they'?
                I don't think this is a major issue. Relating to your own hubs, in your own subdomain can hardly be penalised as this is what is done in a sitemap. Articles in a subdomain ARE related.
                My real concern is the Hubpages Related Links - the ones that Hubpages adds to your page over which you have no control - many of these are of poor quality and ARE NOT related to your topic.

For example
                The Pros and Cons of Online Diagnosis
                related hubs
                   High Blood Pressure Symptoms
                    Prehypertension, High Blood Pressure, & Children
                    Heart Disease in Women
                    High Blood Pressure I Can Take It In True and False BP...
                    Recommended Foods and Nutrients to Prevent Heart Disease
                    Drinking Alcohol and Heart Disease - Facts and Information

How to Crack and Shell a Whole Lobster
                related hubs
                    Macaroni & Cheese Taco Bake Casserole Meal Recipe
                    Steamed Lobster
                    Finding Things to Eat While on the Road in China
                    The 3 Best Restaurant BISCUIT RECIPES - KFC, Red Lobster &...
                    Simple Cheesecake Recipe - A Step By Step Guide
                    Best Dessert And Appetizer Recipes: Mini-Tarts And How To...

Best Sleeping Bag: Best Down and Synthetic Sleeping Bags
                related hubs
                      Five Best Camping Backpacks to Carry All Your Camping...
                      Five Best Kids Backpacks to Make Your Kids Experience the...
                      3 season sleeping bag
                      Ladybower Reservoir - Peak District National Park
                      Homemade Lightweight Backpacks
                      Sports Bags for Women - Duffle Bags, Shoulder Bags and Gym...

Fighting Depression With Aromatherapy
                related hubs
                    Benefits of Bergamot Oil - Where to Buy Bergamot Oil
                    Essential Oils For Cold Sore Treatment
                    Are Bugs Invading Your Home and Garden? Use Aromatherapy...
                    Aromatherapy: Essential Oils for Well-Being
                    Bergamot oil: the health and aromatherapy benefits of...
                    How To Use Aromatherapy Essential Oils For First Aid...

Obviously, I thought, was that the "they" in question are the persons moderating hubs.

Oh, I totally agree - my RSS Feed links should always be considered related because they are mine, and I'm in my own little subdomain world.

I also agree that the related hub links . . . .often simply DO NOT benefit we authors. . . .BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have to realize that it works both ways with the "related hubs"  What if someone lands on a poor hub, but sees a link to one of YOUR hubs, and bounces out of the page that they are on onto yours instead?

2. Marisa Wright profile image87

So true.  I've even heard some commentators say the 'related Hubs' feature is responsible for the dip in traffic some Hubbers are experiencing - because they're being "contaminated" by poor quality related Hubs on their topic.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87

Wes, before sub-domains, each one of your Hubs was a separate URL and Google didn't know they were all by the same person - that's why the latest/best option wasn't allowed, because to Google it looked like just a random ragbag of Hubs.

Now they're all in one subdomain, I'm assuming it's OK because Google can see they're all related by authorship.  But no one's actually said so.

I've had a hub flagged for the RSS feed while under my own subdomain.  My "bottle of wine" hub was taken out for two days for that.

I wish they'd catch a clue from Info Barrel - and finally decide "okay, this guy might not be making us a ton of money, but he can at least create decent articles - let's cut his leash."

2. Jean Bakula profile image92
          Jean Bakulaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I use RSS feeds on almost all my hubs. Just because I started hubbing with one niche, I branched out into others. The RSS feed is a way to let a reader know I write about other topics than the one they are (hopefully) reading. I don't use latest, hot, best much. I have a tag word, and try to let readers know about a different niche. Nobody flagged me yet.

Jean, read the Hub linked in an earlier post about why that's not a good idea.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87
              mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, your advice is good Marisa:)

2. wilderness profile image94
            wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

As I understand HP's policy, RSS feeds must be topic related.  If I'm following what you are saying, yours are most definitely not - they point to hubs on completely different topics.

4. Neerizzle profile image71
    Neerizzleposted 12 years ago

Ah I see, and being flagged just means you change the links and you're good to go right? Or do the delete the articles permanently? Is there a way of setting RSS Feeds for the groups you set up for your hubs? That would be a handy way of organizing it.

No - it's just unpublished and all you generally have to do is delete the RSS Feed.

Supposedly you can customize an RSS Feed so that it includes only related hub links, but I personally do not know how to do that.

5. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

yes, some of them clearly are not related at all. Someone visiting our page may think we're loony to have a section of related hubs by others which are not related.
    Google sees unrelated links on our page.

I understand there may be a benefit if they truly are related. I checked mine, and most of them are except my Max Martin hub, which is about a songwriter/music producer. These are the related hubs listed:

Best Satellite Radio Receivers  - (possibly a long shot, songs can be heard on radios)
    All Time NFL Receiving Leaders By Teams - NFC
    Google AdSense:How and Why Did I Got and Get Paid This Much
    The 20 Best Blu-Ray Movies of 2010-2011
    Shopping in Britain: Where the Customer Is Never Right
    Valentines Day- Gifts For Men 2011 Some Great New Ideas

Wouldn't related hubs at least come from the same topic category, such as Music?

6. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81

After reading Ryan Kett's hub last night - I took the time to delete about TWO HUNDRED RSS Feeds.

I don't think I'm going to use those at all anymore.

1. lisabeaman profile image69
      lisabeamanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Can you post a link to that? I must have missed that one. Thanks!

Thanks! I swear, just when I think I have a clue as to what's going on, something happens and it gets even more overwhelming!

I do have some RSS feeds from the 60 day challenge that I did last year. I've been taking them off as I see them - they were incredibly unrelated to anything of mine. I'll have to go through and look at them all now. (at least I don't have tons of hubs!)

54's enough to go through...it will take a bit of time. And a few hours after you do that, your traffic will have an amazing increase...all from you! smile

I always have been my own biggest reader... and critic as well! smile

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81

Thanks!

I think the thing is that feeds were a GOOD thing pre panda, and a BAD thing post panda. . . .is all.  I'll leave the super internet analysis to the people that know what they are talking about - and I'll take their advice whenever I can understand it.

I just sort of write on the internet :=\

me too... one of these days I'd like to see more than pennies being added to my earnings, but until then I kind of wade through all fog of information and learn as much as I can grasp.

Right now, as I'm going through my older hubs though... I can see that I have really improved in the area of layout. Some of my old ones look like crap!

Lisa, I've gone through my early Hubs many times trying to improve them. In the three years I've been here, I've learned a lot. It's always worth going through those first Hubs to improve them with what you've learned.

One Hub in particular, among the first I wrote, sat at a dismal 60 or less score until a year ago when I looked at keywords in the Hub stats and changed the title to reflect what searchers were looking for. This is only one example. We just need to pay attention to what we learn and to how things change.

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81

I saw two last night that I deleted on sight.  They were awful.  There are some others that should be deleted as well.

There are others still that are very poor - but have a good title and url, and so I should take some time to add a lot of material to them and re write what is there.

I am fairly . . .satisfied to proud of the last one hundred that I've done.  When I have five hundred hubs that I'm satisfied with, I'm positive that that will be a fair stream of income (but not something that would supplant a full time job at all.)

I think that if I had 1500 very good hubs that I was completely satisfied with - I'd probably be where I want to be with this!!

If I only had the time to write as much as I wanted to! My puny little 54 hubs are probably doing as much as they can... I just need to keep writing. smile

Yeah.  I've got a definite "addiction" to this "game."  I'm completely broke, and living in a travel trailer out in the sticks - so you could say that I have the luxury of time to do this.

But the thing is - the more that I write - the more I then think of that I can and should write about.  I know that most people don't have the time that I have to dedicate to all of this.

I don't do keyword research - and the products that I do write about (expensive guitars - usually) aren't exactly going to be "hot" products.  Oh well, I'm doing what I want to do, and I can't complain about that.

2. Sally's Trove profile image78

Same thing for me. I'm not in any way a guru about this stuff. It makes sense to me that pre-Panda the feeds were meant to build a network of internal and external links within the HP domain. But now that we've got the subdomains, we need to be treating our own homes on HP as if they were our personal websites...in other words, HP by virtue of what it is no longer adds credibility/link juice, as it did pre-Panda. It feels like we're no longer fighting for the King, just for our own fiefdoms.

I look at that as being a VERY POSITIVE thing!!!!!!!!!

I sort of hate that it seems like we benefit the most from concentrating on niches - and I'll continue to build on my main niche topics. . .but I'm just not willing to feel like I'm . . .just supposed to write about certain things.

I'm also a big fan of Info barrel - and intend to write there as well.  I'd encourage anyone to join Info Barrel.  I can often incorporate my Info Barrel articles into hubs via link capsules when relevant.

When I joined HP three years ago, it advertised itself as a place to make money writing online (I think it still advertises itself that way). But nothing was ever said about writing in a niche market...that was something you learned through time, or maybe better said, HP looked like a place to express yourself (which is why I joined) and earn money, too, but as time went on, the conversation at HP among Hubbers and HP, too, turned to how to best make money, as in, by specializing in a niche.

That is sound advice, but it doesn't mean that you have to confine yourself to a certain area...HP never said that. All they said was that HP was a place where you could showcase yourself as an expert in your topic...I've got issues with that, but that's beside the point right now.

The fact is, that in three short years, HP's lock-in with Google credibility has changed. I don't know if they will ever get that credibility back.

I joined Infobarrel a while ago, but have yet to publish anything there. But I see what you are saying...HP and IB can have a beneficial relationship for you on the Web, if that relationship is handled responsibly.

Great thought you put out there, Wes.

I think because IB is smaller and has greater controls over new authors - that it's going to grow, and grow, and grow some more so far as credibility with Google is concerned.

If I didn't need income NOW - I'd be investing more time on writing at Info Barrel.

What is REALLY COOL there is that after your ten reviewed articles are published - you are just cut loose, and nobody is moderating your work - except other authors.

Anyone can flag you there for poor grammar and punctuation - but you have to prove that you can write well enough to be able to just up and post anything.

IB also pays a higher percentage for adsense clicks (75/25 - your favor) than HP does. . . but right now it's just not getting the traffic that HP STILL does.

The other good thing about it is that you can join Chikita, and . . . have another revenue stream that way going.

2. lisabeaman profile image69

Thanks - that makes sense!

3. Paraglider profile image89
                Paragliderposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's a great observation. And based on that, it's got to be worth putting some effort into building a good profile page. It always was, but now even more so.

7. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

It seems to have ended up fortunate that I never really understood RSS well enough to use it....

8. wannabwestern profile image94
    wannabwesternposted 12 years ago

I am finding myself woefully behind the times here. Off to remove those RSS feeds on about 150 hubs.

9. lisabeaman profile image69
    lisabeamanposted 12 years ago

I took off all of the RSS feeds. Many of them were from the 60-day challenge that I did last year and were linked to hubs that were very, very unrelated. I also removed the RSS feeds that I put in that were related to the hubs thinking that their descriptions might be seen as duplicate content. I did the same with link boxes that I had put in (those too had long summaries.)

I'm happy to report that my traffic is up and rising. (Not just from my visiting the hubs to edit them either!) I'm getting a lot more traffic from google. I still have a long way to go... but I can see where this may have been one piece of the puzzle that was holding me back.

10. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81

It's working for me! :-D

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)