jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)

The use of four-letter words - allowed or not?

1. Bard of Ely profile image87
    Bard of Elyposted 8 years ago

I am wondering what the rules are exactly, not because I use such words a lot but because I am thinking of doing a hub on famous people I have met and how they didn't or did turn out as I'd imagined. Captain Beefheart and Marc Bolan were two music ' heros' of mine I met but I didn't end up having a pleasant conversation with and both used 4-letter words in what they had to say to me. Bolan used the F-word and Beefheart used the word beginning with C and ending with T. Is it OK for me to write hubs using these words or would it be classed as offensive?

1. profile image0
      Poppa Bluesposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Honestly, I don't know, but you could write them like this c**t or F**k. I don't think doing so would be detrimental to your writing. You'd still get the full flavor of the quotes without violating and Hub policy.

1. profile image61
        fun2hubposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Will google show ads in that case? I doubt

2. Trsmd profile image60
      Trsmdposted 8 years ago in reply to this

I forget the main purpose of your asking and now I am searching answers to this Riddle/Puzzle etc...Where/How will I get the answers I don't know..

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
        Mark Knowlesposted 8 years ago in reply to this

If it helps, I also consider "Fat-free" to be a four letter word big_smile

http://www.answers.com/four-letter word

1. Trsmd profile image60
          Trsmdposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Thanks Mark for saving my time ..

2. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 8 years ago

I am sure it would be fine. Especially as it is in the cause of historical accuracy.

You met Marc Bolan huh? He was a hero of mine as a kid. He died before I had a chance to meet him, but "Ride a White Swan," was my first album.

Most of the famous people I have met have been the same. lol Yul Brinner was a C*** lol

3. Maddie Ruud profile image82
    Maddie Ruudposted 8 years ago

Sparingly, and in context, it's permitted.

Of course, I've always maintained that "diet" is a four-letter word, and I myself use it regularly in hubs.

1. profile image0
      daflaposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Cute, Maddie. smile

4. Bard of Ely profile image87
    Bard of Elyposted 8 years ago

Thanks for all your replies Poppa, Mark, Maddie and fun2hub!

You have answered my question!

working