jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Is there a copyright issue if we use a quote from a author?

1. miccimom profile image60
    miccimomposted 5 years ago

If I wanted to quote something from a author to make a point in one of my hubs, is this legal?  Or do I need that authors permission?

1. R.S. Hutchinson profile image86
      R.S. Hutchinsonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

not if you give credence to the author.

1. miccimom profile image60
        miccimomposted 5 years ago in reply to this

So you mean just include the quote, for example, and then mention that is came from, such and such named author?

1. R.S. Hutchinson profile image86
          R.S. Hutchinsonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

2. Quilligrapher profile image87
      Quilligrapherposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Here are some basics every writer should know about copyright law as they apply to their own work and the work of others:
      “Under the 'fair use' rule of copyright law, an author may make limited use of another author's work without asking permission. Fair use is based on the belief that the public is entitled to freely use portions of copyrighted materials for purposes of commentary and criticism. The fair use privilege is perhaps the most significant limitation on a copyright owner's exclusive rights. If you write or publish, you need a basic understanding of what is and is not fair use.”

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/ … 30100.html

I hope it proves useful.

2. sofs profile image88
    sofsposted 5 years ago

You can use quotes in your hubs, a quote means that you mention the person whosaid it.. Too many quotes will show up your hub as duplicate content. So watch out.. avoid long paragraphs and too many quotes in one hub.

3. classicalgeek profile image88
    classicalgeekposted 5 years ago

Copyright is a complex issue and you need the answers to several questions before you can determine if you can legally quote someone.

1) Is the work in the public domain? If so, you can do anything you want (although giving credit is always a good idea, as invariably one of your readers will have read the work in question and will take you to task for not crediting it properly).

2) Is the work published? Private communications may or may not be quotable.

3) Does the quotation fall under "fair use"? You may quote briefly from a work to illustrate a point. Quoting large sections of a work, even split up across multiple articles, may violate fair use policy. For example, republishing a single cartoon violates "fair use" because that cartoon is a complete work. Quoting a single paragraph from a 200-page book generally falls within "fair use."

For best results, you should always contact the author to obtain permission. If the author is dead, or is J.D. Salinger, contact the person or organization who holds the rights to the work.

I have consulted an intellectual property lawyer many times on various subjects concerning copyright law. The $200 or so you spend on a consultation is well worth the value you will receive.