jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (19 posts)

Getting rid of Google! A request of HP by a user.

1. Randy Godwin profile image94
    Randy Godwinposted 5 years ago

I wish to completely disassociate my work from Google.  They have shown themselves completely incapable of exhibiting any model of fairness or competency regarding providing accurate search capabilities for the internet user.

I do not wish their ads displayed on any of my articles at any time.  They have repeatedly caused harm to many honest writers with no recourse for justice by those unfairly targeted by their faulty systems.

Since we now have sub-domains it should be possible to banish them from our personal sites.  Just as they demand certain things of us before they will recommend our articles I feel I should have the same rights.

One may clearly see their laughable choices of the best articles listed in Google searches over those plainly better for the consumer.  Please consider the option to prohibit Google from accessing my work in any manner.  They are completely untrustworthy and inept in their attempts to control the entire internet.

1. PaulaHenry1 profile image69
      PaulaHenry1posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I like where your going w/ this....stick it to them! smile

2. Mikeydoes profile image80
      Mikeydoesposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I was thinking.. All Google really needs is a little bad publicity and they are no more smile

Who knows though.. Maybe Google will run it's course just like most other things.

I'm telling you the only reason Google does so good is everyone says "Google it". When there is question.

The internet is made by people, yet that's the first person they screw, lol.

Randy Godwinposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'm happy to see I am not the only person who hates Google's routine.  I was beginning to think everyone was afraid to vocally protest against the tyrants.  Thanks for the posts, everyone.  smile

Edited to add:  From now on I will suggest others "Bing it"!

3. KeithTax profile image79
      KeithTaxposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You can void all Google ads on each of your hubs while in edit mode. Click the setting on the right hand side of the screen and set ads to "None."

But does this keep HP from using them while taking their share of the time when ads and affiliate products have their codes in effect?  I don't want my work to associated with the big G at all.

1. Hestia DeVoto profile image61
          Hestia DeVotoposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Since you have 99 Hubs on this site (which appear to be written in a commercial fashion, which according to HubPages means you must run Google ads), how is that helping you to achieve your goal?

2. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 5 years ago

I hear what you are saying and even agree with you.  It would be nice to be able to deny the "God of the internet" access to our work.

Unfortunately, someting has to pay the bills for HP.  Now that they've lost Amazon, adsense (coupled with HP ads) is all that's left.

At the present time I make more money on Amazon than Adsemse.  Google has devalued my work with no explanation as to why they did so.  We have no way to fight these heavy handed bas***ds.  And no one to stand up for us if we try to.

I want them disassociated with my work or else subjected to more scrutiny by the sites which allow them to crawl their content.  But sites bow down to them as if they were gods.  Nothing will change for the better and will simply get even worse unless something is done or a stand is taken.  Fat chance, it seems. smile

3. Hestia DeVoto profile image61
    Hestia DeVotoposted 5 years ago

Why would you stay on HubPages and trying to change the fundamental way that the site was created when you could get achieve your dream immediately if you took your content and started your own website?  You can have an entirely AdSense-free site that way and could even block Google robots from spidering your pages.

Yes I know this, but I still detest ill treatment no matter where it is displayed.  Besides, this isn't about money, it's about fairness and the future of the net.  Do you want Google to control everything you do online?  If not, you will understand my concerns with their power.

4. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 5 years ago

Bing It, Yahoo It - anything but the g-word!

If Hubpages lost all the Amazon profit, are the people who can still use amazon now getting 100% of the profit???  If not, why?

5. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 5 years ago

You might find this news feature interesting - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14306146

and at the bottom of that page is a link to this podcast which is really interesting!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/c … 520918.stm

6. Mutiny92 profile image87
    Mutiny92posted 5 years ago

Go Bing! Go Bing! Gooooo Bing!!!

Can I give a +1 to Bing?

just sayin' . . .

What about Google - (minus)?  We need a symbol to click when Googles search results suck.  smile

7. LuisEGonzalez profile image81
    LuisEGonzalezposted 5 years ago

Agreed then....from now on let's just Bing it!!! big_smile

Down with tyranny!  Up with Bing!  smile

1. SOE profile image91
        SOEposted 5 years ago in reply to this

.... Bing won't even index your pages until you get sufficient backlinks from other sites, basically mandating the need to manually promote your content from the get go or necessitating others to find your work through another search site before hand then post a link to it.

The only reason all your articles would be cached on bing (if they are) is that you probably did a lot of it before the subdomain switch over, but consider that if you, like me, started working after the switch almost exclusively, you wouldn't be so fortunate.

example: http://www.bing.com/search?q=site%3Asoe … ;form=QBLH

versus: http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy& … mp;bih=946

Bing has only 10 of my 26 articles cached, (not oldest first mind you, some old, some new, a lot skipped) and will probably take half a year or more to actually begin caching everything and thats if it gets to that point.

1. SOE profile image91
          SOEposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Dude, i looked at your content. Seriously, it looks spammy. Way too many tags that would no doubt trigger keyword spam flags and far too many amazon advertisements. Your articles shouldnt be the less than 50% content more than 50% ads that it looks like from the few i looked over.

Even if they all don't look like that, these 2 are certainly bringing the rest down:

http://randygodwin.hubpages.com/hub/The … und-Blinds
          http://randygodwin.hubpages.com/hub/Tru … s-Grizzard

Consider that search engines will see those related hub links as the same quality of content that ads are most likely. Try to space that out more. Also, remove like 2/3rds of your tags.

Remember: HP placed ads count to. Comments do not. You need to balance that out.