jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

Summary button needs to be more obvious when editing

1. Marisa Wright profile image91
    Marisa Wrightposted 5 years ago

I'm wondering if there's any way the "summary" button can be made more obvious when editing a Hub. 

Once upon a time, the summary was calculated automatically but now, it's not.  Having no summary can really impact on traffic, so it's really important to complete it - but the average new Hubber wouldn't even notice the button's there. 

Even I forget about it - I knew I hadn't written a custom summary for every Hub, but I'm amazed how many "A"'s I've got now!

As it is so vital, is there a way it could be made front and centre when you edit a Hub?

2. Robin profile image
    Robinposted 5 years ago

Hi Marisa,  We've been talking about this internally and wanted to give Hubbers another option, i.e., the "A" on their My Account page, until we figure out a better way to highlight the summary in a Hub.  I agree, even I forget about the summary when writing Hubs.  Thanks for your feedback;  I'll let the team know.  Cheers!

3. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 5 years ago

The summary box used to be something that appeared at the top of a Hub you were building, not hidden away in a sidebar.  If it's that crucial to a Hub, I think it needs to come back from exile.

Marisa Wrightposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I remember that too, Relache, and I could never understand why they decided to hide all that stuff away - it worked well exactly where it was.

2. Lily Rose profile image83
      Lily Roseposted 5 years ago in reply to this

That's exactly what I was thinking! In going through every hub of mine this week I did find several in which I forgot to create a summary - and it's because it's not obvious like it used to be. 

I don't like the new 'A' notification (I had only 3 today - whew!) - it's not obvious either. Had I not seen another thread about it I don't know that I would have even noticed it.

1. EmpressFelicity profile image82
        EmpressFelicityposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I dunno, I think the "A" is one of the most useful changes that HP has instituted here. Shame they deleted the auto-created summaries but luckily I'd only forgotten to write half a dozen summaries so seeing all the "A"s made it easy to identify the hubs that needed them.

Maybe a "have you remembered to write your own summary?" message should come up when you hit Publish after writing a new hub?

4. sofs profile image88
    sofsposted 5 years ago

Great that this suggestion to highlight the hubs that need summary has been implemented... could you consider this suggestion too . make it possible to add summaries without having to hit the edit button as we do with tags..
    And yes, the summary box should be the first to appear after we enter the hub URL when we click on start a new hub.. that would help all of us

5. cascoly profile image61
    cascolyposted 5 years ago

do changes at HP get test before they're let loose on real people?

what happened to all the summaries we USED to have? almost all my hubs are suddenly marked as missing summaries!  i understand HP changed the rules for new hubs, but it really messes us up to destroy what used to work!  i now have to edit 140 hubs, wasting my time ,for HP's mistake, rather than creating new ones!

Marisa Wrightposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I agree, I was also peeved when they deleted the auto-created ones.

6. elayne001 profile image47
    elayne001posted 5 years ago

sorry to be so ignorant, but where do we write our summaries for our hubs? I do appreciate your help.

1. 2uesday profile image89
      2uesdayposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Go to edit the hub, the place to type the summary is in the box on the right of the hub. It is probably a good idea to check you have done any 'group' or category correctly at the same time.

It helps with search engine results. In another thread on this topic (cannot remember which there are so many on this topic)  - one of the team have said it is not urgent but it is a good idea to have a summary.

This query proves Marisa who began this posts point about it needing to be more placed in a more obvious location.

I was surprised that the previous automatic summaries vanished and was not aware of the need to re-write them until the recent change.