jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)

Getting back into the swing of things

1. nell79 profile image85
    nell79posted 5 years ago

I took a long break from writing much of anything over the last few months....mainly because I wasn't sure where to begin and I was a little discouraged by my lack of SEO knowledge. I've lurked here now and then to see what was happening with all of the changes being made, but I'm sure I've missed a lot.

I've found some new motivation by seeing my earnings from HubPages Ad program and decided there may be hope for me after all big_smile I've written two new hubs in two days, so I feel like I'm getting back into a good rhythm (though I'm sure there are those who can do two hubs in less than two hours) lol

Anyway, any ideas on where I should dig in first when keeping up with the most important happenings here?

1. wilderness profile image97
      wildernessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Welcome back, Nell.

Not sure when you dropped of the radar, but the biggest things are probably:

1.  A limit of one amazon link per 50 words in the hub.

2.  RSS feeds must be pertinent to the hub.  No more simple "Latest", "hot" or "best" feeds to your portfolio as a whole.  All other outgoing links must be pertinent as well.

3.  Many hubbers are removing all RSS feeds in the hope that google will like them better.

4.  Automatic summaries are gone.  There is now a dim "A" next to any hub on your statistics page that doesn't have a summary, just to remind you of that.

nell79posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thank you, Wilderness smile

I noticed that summary thing last night when all of the sudden I had all of these "A" symbols next every one of my hubs LOL I had hoped it was a grading system lol

Looks like I have some checking to do then. I have some amazon ads in some of my hubs, though not very many...not sure how the word count would work out there, so I better check.

I knew some of that about the RSS feeds, though I didn't know it would have impact on the google rating. There's some food for thought....

The thinking seems to be that the feed contains quotes from somewhere else and is thus duplicate.  Enough duplication and google has a fit (as does HP for that matter).  Better to just do away with them.

I must say, however, that I have kept one feed per hub, pointing to other hubs on the same general topic.  So far, no problem.

Thanks again for the insight. I'm not sure what to do on mine....I've got some hubs that are steadily going up, but then I've got some that are deader than dead. Is it best to leave those dead ones up?

A tough question, and lots of different opinions.

On the one hand those dead hubs may come alive someday.  Certainly seasonal hubs are in that category, and others may be as well.

At the same time as we each have our own subdomain, poor material could very well hurt us.

I've deleted a couple that I'm confident will never prosper - topics were just wrong, or they just never did perform.  One was a sales hub, for instance, that got 100 views over a year (most, of course, in the first few days from hubbers).  The product is now out of date, amazon links are out of date, and it hasn't gotten even one view in well over a month. 

As is so often the case with google it's a judgement call on your part with insufficient information to make it an informed one.  Good luck with this one!

2. Anna Marie Bowman profile image93
    Anna Marie Bowmanposted 5 years ago

Well, welcome back.  I, too, have been trying to get back in the swing of things here.  I have been writing on and off for a while, but have neglected the community as a whole, and for that I am ashamed...I miss this place too much to keep away so long.

Yeah, HubPages tends to grow on you! I've enjoyed the time I've spent here smile

3. Rebecca E. profile image89
    Rebecca E.posted 5 years ago

welcome back! great to have you here again.

4. Uninvited Writer profile image81
    Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago

Welcome back.

5. nell79 profile image85
    nell79posted 5 years ago

Thank you for the warm welcomes! big_smile

6. kmackey32 profile image81
    kmackey32posted 5 years ago

Welcome back...smile

7. Lisa HW profile image82
    Lisa HWposted 5 years ago

Welcome back.  Enjoy your second-round stay.  smile