jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (13 posts)

Is being bored fatal?

1. earnestshub profile image88
    earnestshubposted 5 years ago

Early this morning one of my twin granddaughters who was 6 on Friday came up to me and said "Grandpa I'm bored"

Listing a number of her favourite things to do I suggested that there was no need for her to be bored.
    "Well I am bored, and that is why people die.......they get too bored!"

I have to say that although she has already experienced the death of one goldfish and one cat already in her life, I can see she has not grasped the full meaning of death for herself..... very normal for humans at any age.

I got to thinking about the boredom thing, and I think she has a point.

I have seen several old people who just wanted it to end, and others no matter how hard or easy their life is........ want to live 2 lifetimes.
    Any thoughts on that?

1. jennzie profile image84
      jennzieposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Depression can cause someone to basically get bored with and lose interest in life- so yes, I believe it is possible to die from "boredom". As someone on here said, if you feel you no longer have a reason to live you will lose the will to live.

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Ultimately (in the adult sense) I think you're referring to the emptiness of a life without faith in God.  Even a believer may want to die because of their physical or mental state, but with them it's a yearning to be with the Lord at last.   
      I can personally compare that "boredom" to how I felt before I got saved.  Life was confusing and lonely, even though I had a family who loved me.

2. kmackey32 profile image80
    kmackey32posted 5 years ago

My kids say there bored daily....lol

earnestshubposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I guess all kids get bored kmackey. smile

This is the first time I have been told by one of them that it is a matter of life and death though! lol

1. rebekahELLE profile image90
        rebekahELLEposted 5 years ago in reply to this

oh, that's funny. She's still at the age where they take words and phrases literally. Maybe she heard someone say they were bored to death! lol

Well, that sounds likely when I think about it, although it certainly wasn't from me or their mom!

We don't get time to be bored with so many kids around! lol

3. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 5 years ago

Let me ponder this thought and come back later with an answer. smile

Ponder away AEvans. I am doing a bit of that myself. smile

4. Shadesbreath profile image90
    Shadesbreathposted 5 years ago

Boredom is a form of laziness. You'd have to be really, really lazy to let it kill you rather then get up and go do something to bring meaning into your life. It's amazing how many people do though. We are pathetic creatures, we humans.

I remember one old guy in his 90s who wanted to die. He was such a miserable bastard his whole life I was not too surprised. smile

1. Shadesbreath profile image90
        Shadesbreathposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Wouldn't that be funny if there was a god who sat up there and did that stuff to people. Grumpy old bastard snarling his way through life, all decrepit and miserable, wishing he could just end it after 90 years, and god is sitting up there going, "Nope. You made your bed, now lie in it. Awake."

Reminds me of that movie Up

5. PaulaHenry1 profile image66
    PaulaHenry1posted 5 years ago

Working in Hospice I have seen the boredom of life and what it has to offer to a person, ultimately end their life. If there is nothing to look forward to- nothing you want to do- and am basically 'bored with life' I totally believe you can die from boredom.
    I have seen the mind alter the body. You grandbaby is very insightful, even if she really didnt even know so....

working