jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Has the "Overly-Promotional" filter developed a bug?

1. Howard S. profile image84
    Howard S.posted 5 years ago

This is the first of those that I've gotten, but I'm fairly certain it's misbehaving in a few ways. First, I want to state that this was not identified by a Moderator, but by a computer filter. I did not get a red skull or any other indicator until I was trying to edit the Hub to remove a broken link. (OK, that's an "indicator.")

1) The message that describes my problem and tells me to edit the hub did not appear until I was already editing it and selected "Done Editing." Seems backwards to me.

2) But then it wouldn't let me escape, not even with "Done Editing"! I discovered two ways out of that. One was to use the back arrow a few times (perhaps losing my edits, not sure). The other, counter-intuitively, was to select the link to "continue to the Hub" that appears in the warning message. That took me out of the hub, saving my edits.

3) Either way, the skull was now there. It hadn't been there when I started, so editing the hub had awakened the beast.

4) My stated offense was to have more than two links to the same domain. It named three of the ten Amazon products featured on the page. While Amazon.com is admittedly a domain, it is supposed to be under a different rule that requires at least 50 words overall per Amazon product. I have over 900 words for ten products. Something's screwy here too. (One product is linked both in a photo credit and in a product ad. Do you suppose that's what started all this?)

1. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 5 years ago in reply to this

The Amazon link - is it through the Amazon module - or did you insert 'direct' links from Amazon? the 50 word rule only applies to the Amazon links using the HP module!

2. ezhang profile image
      ezhangposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hi Howard S,

Try clicking the "Check Violations" button on the bottom of the My Stats page again, so it can re-check your hubs for violations. From what I can tell, your hub should be fine now (I suspect due to your edits).

The skull icon does not update itself upon edits of the hub, so you may need to ask our system to recheck your hubs for the icon to disappear.

2. classicalgeek profile image88
    classicalgeekposted 5 years ago

I will say that I think there is a bug anyway. I did not get the "overly promotional" warning when I inadvertently had three links to my food blog. Fortunately I always count the links myself.

3. 0
    feelhungryposted 5 years ago

"Check Violations" is quite useless. I click on that every single time I publish a new hub but all my hubs are always free from violation. I was shocked when the violations came out all at once after 2 days. I didn't know that I can not put my own website RSS Feed if I promote my website on the article body. After I saw the error, I removed all the RSS Feed last night. This morning when I checked, all my hubs have been turned to "Unpublished". I have republish now and I hope the admin can check my account the soonest and republish all the hubs. Thanks.