jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (10 posts)

Oh Deer! What's brown and white and......?

1. Randy Godwin profile image92
    Randy Godwinposted 5 years ago

A new one on me concerning the local animal population.  While cruising around the forests on our farm a few hours ago I suddenly came up on this piebald deer.  It seemed to wait patiently for me to get my camera out and take a few shots.  Not really rare in some parts of the country but they are here. 

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/5473762_f248.jpg

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/5473769_f248.jpg

2. K9keystrokes profile image92
    K9keystrokesposted 5 years ago

Wow! This is so cool Randy! What a delightful encounter for you. And thanks for sharing the images with us. I want to pet it... wink Any idea where it came from and why it's in your neck of the woods?

Randy Godwinposted 5 years ago in reply to this

No idea, K9.  I've lived around and hunted these woods for decades and never encountered one of these deer.  My digital zoom did not do justice to the color of the young deer nor show much detail.  I think I saw some small spikes which would indicate it was a buck.

If it turns out to grow a trophy rack, it will be d specialefinitely something to see.  I'm looking forward to getting a few more pics of this animal during the fall and winter months.  smile

1. K9keystrokes profile image92
        K9keystrokesposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I would love to watch it grow as you document its progress with photography. A buck would indeed be something very special to see in such interesting colors! I am amazed at the pictures you were able to get, the exposure takes nothing away from the moment you were gifted and the spectacular vision of this beast!
        cool

To top it off, today's my birthday and I could not have asked for a more unusual gift from nature.  I plan to set up my infra-red digital game camera in the area to try and get some even closer shots of the animal.  Damn I'm lucky to be able to watch all of the wildlife around here.

I'll sure post any new photos if I'm fortunate to get them.  smile

Outstanding! And BTW-- Happy Birthday (I'm a Virgo also, the 9th of this month; not that I place much in it). I think this deer is a very special gift meant strictly for you on your day! Now that's a gift of a miracle! Looking forward to more images to come...standing by! wink

Thanks, and an early Happy Birthday to you too, K9!  And who said Virgos were unappreciative of life's simple things?  smile

I know! lol

3. leahlefler profile image97
    leahleflerposted 5 years ago

Wow, that is really cool! We have a ton of white-tailed deer around here, but I've never seen a piebald one among our local herds.

Same here in southern Georgia, Leah, although I have observed a few among the smaller species of sea island deer on Jekyll Island.  This made my day, especially as the animal was spotted in our own private woodlands! smile

working