jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Boosting a Subdomain's Authority in Google

1. Benjimester profile image89
    Benjimesterposted 5 years ago

Do you think that a good way of boosting your authority in the eyes of Google is deleting non-performing hubs?  I always periodically clean house and delete hubs that aren't performing.  That way, when Google checks out my subdomain, all they find are hubs that have good view duration and high traffic volume.  I've written over 400 hubs in total, but have deleted most of them because they just weren't doing much.  What I'm left with is 160 hubs that all get pretty good daily traffic and have good view duration.  I don't know if it'll do anything positive for authority, but who knows. 

What are your thoughts?

1. Glamorously Jacob profile image60
      Glamorously Jacobposted 5 years ago in reply to this

If the content wasn't frivolous I would assume it has no impact. However, I find that focusing on a niche helps me in the rankings. I believe Google somehow establishes authority for my writing based on like-themes.

2. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You don't really want to know my thoughts do you?

I think the web has been dumbed down. No-one wants seriously researched and fascinating, interesting content.

They want to know about the latest pop star or the latest TV program, or just something that makes the headlines.

They don't want to have to read more than 250 words. Bullet points preferably.

Those hubs we wrote a couple of years ago that are still waiting for traffic will wait forever.

If your new hub doesn't see substantial Google traffic in its first week, it probably never will, unless you wrote about something obscure that hit the headlines.

Nobody using the web is educated.

I mean searchers, not the writers, but a lot of them have no education either.

Searchers are everything. Stop using big words because they won't understand them.

I don't think the average searcher is 13, but they have the education of a 13 year old, and never matured further.

Educated people go directly to Amazon to buy, or the news sites to read, or .edu sites to learn.

I am really thinking that aiming for a 300 word dumbed down hub about the top 10 best of anything, or the top dumb things is what the searcher wants.

How sad! This a a reflection on the whole of the world society.

Please tell me I'm wrong.

2. Richieb799 profile image66
    Richieb799posted 5 years ago

people are taking all of this extreme actionbut it doesn't appear to make much difference

3. PaulPd0 profile image88
    PaulPd0posted 5 years ago

Google would like to work more directly with websites like Facebook Twitter Hubpages etc. as their results would probably be more relevant if they were able to take ratings or levels or whatever of domains such as these and include them into their calculations, but they just don't really know how to yet.

Unless you have hubs that are both focused towards the same keywords, deleting one of them shouldn't bring any boost in traffic to the other, only guarantee that the one you delete will never get anymore traffic. If your articles were on topics or contained keywords/links that Google has deemed spammy then yes, having them on your subdomain will lower your ranking with search engines.

As far as searchers only being interested in top ten lists, I think you are confusing searchers with bored people that are browsing around on the actual HP website. It's rare that anyone will type top ten into a search engine, but they might include top, best and other adjectives like that, so you will want to target those additional key phrases including the adjectives if you want those searchers.