Unable to stop following another hubber.

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (34 posts)
  1. Goody5 profile image60
    Goody5posted 12 years ago

I noticed recently after I followed someone in error, that I couldn't stop following them. Is this a new feature that when we follow another hubber, it's for ever now? Because this function is not working!

1. Maddie Ruud profile image73
      Maddie Ruudposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You should be able to unfollow any user you're currently following at http://hubpages.com/my/activity/hubbers-following

Let me know if that's not working for you.

2. Goody5 profile image60
      Goody5posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Okay Maddie I tried out your suggestion, however even after I stop following someone the system does not respond & reflect that I am no longer following that person. I believe with all of the changes & updates that have occurred recently on the Hub Pages that there is still a glitch in their system.

1. Cagsil profile image69
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What do you mean it doesn't reflect or respond?

Are you expecting the page to update automatically? If so, that's not how it works. You would have to refresh the page.

When you go to your "my accounts" section and click on "activity", then click on "hubbers you follow", it should generate a list of hubbers who you have clicked on to follow, regardless of whether or not, you sent them emails.

When you locate a hubber that you no longer wish to follow, then right click and open it in a new tab. The new tab should tell you that you are no longer following that particular individual. If you don't right click and you just click on link next to their name, then it should open a page that tells you that you are no longer following that individual.

If neither of those things happen, then yes there's a glitch somewhere.

That's correct neither of those things happen, and there is a glitch in the system. You should also be able to stop following someone by clicking on the "GREEN UNFOLLOW ARROW" at the top of someone's profile page, and that doesn't function either. If you don't believe me, then follow me & try to unfollow me - Bet you can't.

Okay, I clicked on follow you. Now, I will try to unfollow you through the advice I gave you.

3. profile image0
      Ari Lamsteinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It appears that while you are able to indeed follow and stop following users by clicking the "Follow" button, users are sometimes appearing on the "list of followers" page of another user even after they stop following the user.

I have created a task to fix this issue.

Thank you Ari,  for having this problem looked into by the Hub Pages' staff, which was the reason I brought this topic up on this forum to begin with. After testing the system out myself, I still see that I'm following other people almost 18 hours now after I stopped following them. Your assistance is much appreciated. Have a good day.  smile

1. profile image0

Update: We believe that this issue is now fixed.  Please let us know if you see it again.

Ari, if the issue is now fixed then why does it still reflect on our history that we are following people that we stopped following? If you look at my history you will see that Cagsil & myself are still following one another, when in fact we are not. You will also see on my history that I am following AEvans, when in fact I stopped following her to prove a point. Prior to the changes that the hub pages made, when a person stopped following another person, it was reflected in their history almost right away. Now there is no indication of this what so ever taking place. So the glitch is still there, and needs to be fixed. To prove it once more, I'm going to follow you, and then stop following you. So please check into that also. Thank you.

That's irrelevant. It doesn't matter. lol

You're now trying to erase past actions? Move on.

2. profile image0

Goody5,

This is in fact a bug.  A fix has been submitted and will go out with our next site update.

Thank you Ari for taking care of this OBVIOUS problem, which has been around now for a few weeks. I was starting to wonder if I was addressing this concern to the right forum. Because for a while there all I was getting was a bunch of nonsense from people who didn't have a clue of what they were talking about. They must of lost their way from the web site topix. Thanks again for taking a moment to look into this glitch.

1. profile image0

Fixed.

Yes it is sir, and thank you for fixing the glitch that some know-it-alls said didn't exist. I'm now going to follow you for real, and thank you Ari  smile

2. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Did you go to "my account", then "activity" and then "hubbers you follow", to stop following people?

3. aware profile image66
    awareposted 12 years ago

hmmm .   looking at your activity it appears to me you follow just for the sake of following  or maybe fishing for  fans . they didn't follow you back?    ...
      ray?

4. Cagsil profile image69

I followed my instructions and I am no longer following you. Your profile near the bottom will tell you that I am following, which is no longer true, because if you look through your followers, I am not listed.

5. Cagsil profile image69

Your profile says I am still following you. However, profiles are updated daily, so it wouldn't be immediate anyways.

However, there could be a glitch. I don't know.

6. Cagsil profile image69

On another point- I refreshed my screen and YOU are not on my list of hubbers that I follow, after I did my instructions.

That's interesting, I guess time will tell. I stopped following you also, however I used the green unfollow arrow at the top of your profile screen. If there's not a glitch after all of those Hub page's updates, it'll be interesting to see just how long the time period is now to see when you stop following someone registers.

It's already told me that I lost a follower, when you decided to unfollow me. So, it has already taken effect. wink

It's been now almost an hour & a half, and I see that we are still both unwillingly following one another. let's see in 24 hours if anything changes. Most likely that follower that you lost was banned, which happens more then we realize. You should be aware of that since you were voted most likely to be banned in the forums. What we need is for the Hub Pages staff to look into the problem of the green unfollow arrow not functioning properly. And since AEvans you think it's so silly, I'll try following & unfollowing you to see if it works someone else.  smile

lol

7. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 12 years ago

I see you two are following and un-following each other, well I believe both of yo have it covered. Geez....lololo! You two are so silly! big_smile

Hey AEvans, we were looking for a glitch in the methods for unfollowing someone once you have followed them. wink Nothing silly about it. smile

Ditto on that Cagsil  smile

It's now the next day, and after 12 hours we are still following each other against our wishes. I also see that I'm still following AEvans. If the stop following feature is working, it must take a long time to take effect, but I seriously doubt it works. We will see what happens now after 24 hours. The hub pages staff really needs to look into this glitch, both with the "Green unfollow arrow" at the top of the hubber's profile page, and on the stop follow feature on my account in section of "Hubbers you follow"  smile

Hey Goody,

I am not following you, even though your profile says I am. I thought I already told you that. YOU are not on my list of followers that I follow.

I may be on your profile, but those(the pictures and list) might only be updated every 24 hours(or as I said, daily?). My list of "who" I follow doesn't have you on it, so I am not following. smile

Your name and profile picture are still on the list of my 107 followers. Just look at the last page of my followers and you will find yourself 4th from the bottom. We will just have to see what happens after 24hours.  smile

8. Cagsil profile image69

Thank you Ari. wink

Your 24 hour update is right around the corner. I'll return at that time.  smile

Look what is still there at the bottom of page 4 of your history - (24 hours ago Cagsil is now following you) Lets see if the task that Ari created fixes this glitch. Oh I almost forgot - I TOLD YOU SO  smile  smile  smile  smile

9. Cagsil profile image69

Thank you again Ari.

I'll leave it to Goody5 to figure out whether or not it's fixed. I have too many followers to go looking. lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)