'No follow' backlink from hubpages- Does this sound right?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (29 posts)
  1. DallasColdLaserDR profile image58
    DallasColdLaserDRposted 12 years ago

I noticed that when I checked my backlinks all of the ones from hubpages were 'nofollow' links. Should this be the case? (I've written several articles and I'd hate not to be getting the most out of them.) Or do I need to change something in the HTML coding linking the anchor text to my website? If so can someone type an example of how the html code should look like for anchor text to be linked back to a site.

Thanks!

1. thooghun profile image94
      thooghunposted 12 years agoin reply to this

They'll become do-follow once your author score hits 75.

DallasColdLaserDRposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you!

2. jpwriter profile image61
      jpwriterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I looked at a few articles since they sparked a little debate among other members.  I don't think it's very helpful to just tell you the articles are overly promotional, spam articles, and flag them when you're asking for help.  So, here are a few unsolicited suggestions for what it's worth.

-Links - Limit outbound links to content that complements the article and do not add more than TWO links to the SAME domain/website (which I didn't see).  Use a keyword/keyword phrase for the link's anchor tex and avoid using "click here" or "here".  The word "here" doesn't help your SEO efforts and turns a link into a call to action, something you want to avoid because it makes the hub a promotion (aka overly promotional).  Use a link naturally in a sentence and you'll reap the do follow SEO value and keep your hubs compliant.  You should also interlink the hubs that are related.

One other thing I noticed is that you use bold and italics.  It's better practice to use bold/italics on a keyword or keyword phrase because you can lose SEO on insignificant words when you italicize several sentences/paragraphs.  Instead of bold, I'd use a new capsule or h3 headings.  The call to action in italics looks more like a signature, but HP doesn't have a signature section.  You can use links in your profile page, so I'd edit my profile and link to it.   

Since someone flagged your articles it's a good idea to make some quick edits.  Your articles are informative, well-written, and provide value to the reader.  If you edit the current hubs and keep writing new ones you'll do well and get your hub score up. 

I hope that info is helpful.

Thank you for your reply.  I will review all of my articles and I'll do my best to make the necessary changes.  I didn't realize my question would spark such a debate.  I'm just learning so I appreciate your thoughtful reply.

1. jpwriter profile image61
          jpwriterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome. 

We were all new once!  There's a LOT to learn - more than I ever imagined.  I made plenty of mistakes before learning how to implement search engine optimization (SEO), etc.

If you have questions you can post them here.  I'll do my best to answer.  I learned a lot from other members, especially InfoBarrel, another site you might want to check out.

2. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

You must have hubscores higher than 40 and a hubberscore of 75 for all your links to be dofollow.

Thank You!

3. Haunty profile image73
    Hauntyposted 12 years ago

Yes. Please, write a few more hubs so that your score can hit the 75 mark.

Thanks!

4. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 12 years ago

If any of the previous commentors had taken the time to look at your Hubs, they'd see that you are violating the rules in regards to over-promotion, and have incurred a HubScore penalty as a result.

If you keep using your present methods of creation and included promotion, no matter how many new Hubs you make, your Score will remain below the do-follow threshold.

1. Haunty profile image73
      Hauntyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Please, elaborate, else no one will know what exactly you are talking about. When a hub is in violation of the rules, it gets moderated. You don't incur a HubScore penalty for it. It's the past you are talking about. Nowadays, rules are enforced much more strictly.

Also, If I looked at the hubs and missed the two that are in the actual gray area where you cannot exactly tell if they should be pulled or left alone, then you yourself missed the other four that are actually very good informative hubs that many readers can benefit from without even noticing the promotional bits in the end.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Relache is correct - the hubs are over-promotional.  100% of them have 2 links to the same for profit site and are an obvious tool to draw traffic to that site.

As such HP will consider them over promotional.

Right. The difference is you are seeing a for-profit site. I am seeing a doctor who is offering help to people. What if someone wants to drive traffic to their site? Businesses are NOT evil!

Wrong. The hubs have merit of their own without the sites linked.

Of course it is a for profit site - the site is to promote that doctors work and is little more than advertising.  Nothing at all wrong with that - without advertising most business will fail.

HOWEVER, HP does not want writers whose sole purpose is to provide traffic for another site.

You are mistaken.  Whether the hubs have merit or not is immaterial; HP forbids the same links on nearly every hub to the same site and defines it as overly-promotional. 

http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/Mode … romotional

That link gives the rules and shows several items where these hubs are in violation of being over-promotional.

The hub that you linked says, "Purely promotional offers, and Hubs designed only to promote other sites or businesses, are not allowed." What I'm trying to say is that these hubs are not purely promotional.

Also, can you please quote the line where it says that the same links are not allowed in each and every hub.

Which items are you referring to? Please, point them out. Thanks.

1. IzzyM profile image86
                IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm pretty sure you can interpret the rules in any way you choose, but the staff here, or the system here, will say that hubs that all promote the same external links are overly-promotional, no matter how well-written or informational the actual hubs are.

Why don't you flag the hubs then and let the staff decide. I stand by my interpretation. I don't see where in the TOS or on the site it says the things that are claimed here.

1. IzzyM profile image86
                    IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Why don't YOU flag the hubs? I couldn't give a toss if someone is overly promotional if the hub is unique and written in good English. I'm not here to check other peoples' hubs.

You have been here long enough to know that not every rule is written in the TOS in an interpretable way.

Do you have a list of banned affiliates, or banned topics?

No.

Because post-Panda, a lot of things have changed. And while they might be sort of in the TOS, they aren't clear.

Meanwhile, I will continue to flag hubs that are obviously against TOS, but no more than that.

2. wilderness profile image95

Sorry - misunderstood your comment.  The article linked to is purely promotional, not necessarily the hub. 

That call will, however, be made by HP - personally I expect an informational hub to be longer than 300 words and at least one is shorter than that even counting the effort at the bottom to get the reader to click through.

You are correct in the number of hubs with the same link - it isn't there, at least that I could find.  I know it has come out in the forums but it isn't in the learning center.

"Hubs that ask users to click on a link to "read more" or "continue here" are against our Terms of Use."  At least one of the hubs has such a comment in it; I did not thoroughly read all of them.

Understand I'm not trying to diss the author, but to point out potential problems that could get the hubs unpublished.  To my way of thinking it is best not to even approach that line.

1. QuestionMaster profile image79
                  QuestionMasterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Although it's been said unofficially by staff, they've never put it in concrete since linking to one domain across all your hubs may be spam in one case, but not in another.

The best you'll do is moderator Maddie Ruud's comments on the topic:

"Unfortunately, I cannot clarify an absolute number of hubs over which repeated linking will become a problem.  It depends on a lot of factors, including your total number of hubs and the percentage in which you link to the same site.  However, we are reasonable with such penalties, and well-intentioned hubbers generally have nothing to fear.  This policy is merely meant to catch people who come to HubPages soley with the intention of directing traffic elsewhere."

This was a comment in her hub: http://maddieruud.hubpages.com/hub/Overly-Promotional

However there are other mentions in the site, if you really feel like looking hard enough.

Sure - I know I'd seen it before.  In this case 100% of the hubs had the same link - I think that's pretty clearly over the limit.

2. Haunty profile image73

Flagging and rules violations are discussed quite a bit among Greeters and staff members. I know the rules are not always clear and leave plenty of room for interpretation. I personally have corresponded with new hubbers who simply froze at the sight of the many rules and their interpretations in the forum and did not dare to post their first hub for fear of getting booted. I think it's really counter-productive to keep saying things that we are not sure of, because you know some people are working in the background to keep things going and oftentimes the biggest obstacle to this is unfounded rumors. Still, I think you might as well be right and so let the staff decide.

If you write for the readers benefit I can't imagine running up against anything very hard.  Maybe the 50 word per amazon link or something like that.

If you write to get backlinks to another site then it's not for the readers benefit even if you provide a modicum of information while telling that same reader to go somewhere else for the whole story.

5. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 12 years ago

All of the Hubs link back to the same website, and the last two paragraphs on each are clearly a text commercial pitch for that doctor's business.  Some of the Hubs even had three links to the site.  When I give feedback on someone's Hubs, I actually go look at them, and this one waved a giant spam flag in my face.

So, I flagged the whole thing, and I did that before posting my reply here to the OP.  If there's no problem with the links or content, nothing will happen, but if there is, the moderators will handle it.

6. Haunty profile image73
    Hauntyposted 12 years ago

@jpwriter: Thanks for taking the time to post these details. You are right, we were not very helpful.

Just to make sure it's clear to everyone, and since both you and relache mentioned this, I'd like to point out that the 2 outbound link per one domain rule has not been violated. If anyone thinks that one hub has three links to the same domain, please look again.

Secondly, when you've been here for a while, you have a few hubs, but you stopped posting, your hubscore will stay below 75 no matter what. You don't have to violate any rules. I know this because I have seen and can point out several other accounts with similar situation. There is no hubscore penalty involved, an abandoned account with only 6 hubs is simply not enough to reach the 75 mark.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)