jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Vintage pictures copyright question.

1. SnapHappy profile image60
    SnapHappyposted 5 years ago

I have pictures made before 1922. If I post them for free downloads on HUB pages, would I be breaking any rules or copyright laws?
    What do you think?

2. QuestionMaster profile image90
    QuestionMasterposted 5 years ago

Firstly, you can't do downloads in any form on Hubpages. All you can do is add them to articles using a photo capsule.

Secondly, where are the photos from? The internet, friends/family, a local photography club etc?

If you own the photos or are they are from your family, they are legally yours and you can do what you want with them. If they are owned by someone else, you'd need to ask their advice or add some text under the photo that attributes the photo to them.

Remember - if you put them on the internet other people may end up using them without your permission, like anything you place publicly online.

1. SnapHappy profile image60
      SnapHappyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

QUestionMaster,
      What I mean is to offer pictures to other people through Hubpages. (Free, for use in their own hubs or blogs.)
      I know for a fact that just because  I own photos or pictures, it DOES NOT allow me to publish them. (Unless, of course, they were made before 1922 and now considered public.) You have to look at the rights of the creator/artist.
      What I wanted to know is what HubPages' policy on posting someone else's pictures.  SImply attributing the artist is often not enough in other formats I work in.
      Anybody?

1. QuestionMaster profile image90
        QuestionMasterposted 5 years ago in reply to this

http://hubpages.com/faq/#thirdparty

Hubpages doesn't enforce the rules very strong though - as long as an image isn't watermarked or pixelated, there s usually no issue unless someone complains. Thousands of people use copyright pictures on this site, unfortunately.

working