jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (9 posts)

Why Do Some Hubbers Bother To Ask Questions?

1. Seeker7 profile image95
    Seeker7posted 5 years ago

I don't mean to be offensive with this, I'm genuinely curious. But browsing through a few questions I have read a number of very good responses to questions and they have stayed on topic, nor were they rude. But many are voted down quite a bit. So it seems to me that some questions are being asked by a few hubbers, but they only like the answers that fits in with their own way of thinking and beliefs. So why bother to get a response, if all they are interested in is answers that back up what they already know or believe? Seems a bit of a waste of time? I've noticed this more with philosophical and religion questions.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Sometimes, they're not even questions though are they. I can think of a couple of forum posts that state an event as fact, as if this event proves what they have argued in previous threads.They're not always inviting discussion and debate. Just want agreement with their view.

Seeker7posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hi Hollie,  you've made a good point.  Some of the 'questions' are stating what they believe rather than inviting different, or dare I say it, opposing comments. But from my, maybe jaundiced eye, that's an even bigger waste of time. They would be better just going ahead and writing a hub about whatever it is that they're so passionate about.

Yes I agree, particularly when they have done some research before posting the thread. Makes sense to write the hub, which can also stimulate discussion.

"which can also stimulate discussion" I wonder if that's what some of them are afraid of?

Perhaps smile

Hi Hollie, many thanks for the fan mail and the follow!!

2. Cagsil profile image59
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

People in general ask questions to get answers.

However, there seems to be people who have joined HP and asked a bunch of questions in the questions section under the impression that it's a game and a way to increase their authorscore/hubberscore.

3. Disturbia profile image61
    Disturbiaposted 5 years ago

I don't think you're being at all offensive and it's a fair question. It doesn't take long when reading the forums to realize that certain topics and subjects are argued about, ad nauseam. You can tell by the way the participants interact with each other that nobody really cares for the opposing person's opinion and that they have all been repeating themselves for a long time.  roll 

Also there are others, and these make me laugh, that ask for advice, then argue with everyone who offers a positive solution to their problem.  The net result being they are defending their miserable situation and nothing gets resolved. 

It all seems pretty pointless to me, but entertaining none the less.

working