Weekly Topic Inspiration: Gluten-Free Living

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (48 posts)
  1. Simone Smith profile image87
    Simone Smithposted 12 years ago

Gluten and wheat-free diets, recipes, and discussions are really gaining traction these days.  Do you have a friend with a wheat allergy? Or a family member with celiacs disease? Or a favorite gluten-free recipe? Consider writing about those things as a part of this week's Weekly Topic Inspiration theme!

Commonly searched-for terms related to this topic include: what is gluten, gluten intolerance symptoms, gluten allergy, gluten intolerance, gluten free bread, gluten free beer, gluten allergy symptoms, gluten free girl, gluten free desserts, celiac disease diet, gluten free food, food intolerance, gluten free flour, gluten free pizza, symptoms of gluten intolerance, spelt bread, gluten free pasta, what is gluten free, gluten free products, list of gluten free foods, gluten free food list, gluten sensitivity, specific carbohydrate diet, wheat gluten, potato bread, gluten free banana bread, vital wheat gluten, gluten free cake recipes, gluten free pancakes, gluten free cakes, gluten free bread recipes, celiac diet, gluten free snacks, gluten free muffins, gluten free brownies, gluten free cereal, wheat free recipes, gluten free cornbread, gluten free cake recipe, gluten free breakfast, and gluten free bakery.

So if you need a starting point, you might consider writing about one of those things big_smile

If you'd like to join in on this week's topic by writing a Hub, follow these steps:
    1)    Click here to visit this week's topic.
    2)    Click the green button "answer this question".
    3)    Click the gray button below the box (leave that empty) that says "make a Hub about it."
    4)    Give your Hub a very specific title, like Easy Summer Gardening Projects for Kids or Challenging Summer Activities for Teens
    5)    Create good quality original content that hasn't been covered before.
    6)    After you publish your Weekly Topic Inspiration Hub, come back to this forum thread and post a link to your Hub with a brief description of what you wrote about and why.

If you're not writing a gluten-free recipe, you'll need to re-categorize your Hub after publishing it, since answering the question with a Hub will automatically put it in that category, but it's no trouble to do so.

For more information on the Weekly Topic Inspiration program, check out the Learning Center guide.

I'm looking forward to reading your gluten-free Hubs!

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/5063877_f260.jpg

1. J.S.Matthew profile image80
      J.S.Matthewposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This should be a popular topic! I have seen a lot of great Gluten-Free recipes out there! Let's see what happens!

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

Well, I have reserved the hub url and title: "Gluten! The Untold Story!"

However, I have absolutely no idea what will show up in it. smile smile smile

1. FloraBreenRobison profile image61
      FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

smile

2. Denise Handlon profile image85
      Denise Handlonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

smile smile

3. FloraBreenRobison profile image61
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years ago

I don't personally know anyone who needs a gluten-free diet, but this  is an important health topic, so I imagine there will be lots of entries.

4. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

Well, this hub isn't a barn-burner, but maybe it will save a life or two.

http://paradigmsearch.hubpages.com/hub/ … told-Story

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey, folks! To anyone who wants to, you can post a link to your gluten-related hub in the comments of my gluten-related hub. For this particular hub, I'm fine with that. I consider the thing as just a gateway hub anyway. Better to send traffic to other hubbers, rather than just to the .gov sites.

1. Beth100 profile image69
        Beth100posted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is very kind of you!  smile  Thank you.

2. Simone Smith profile image87
      Simone Smithposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is great, paradigmsearch! The summary and links are most helpful!

3. Denise Handlon profile image85

paradigmsearch-this was a wonderful hub and I really appreciated your explanation.

5. Beth100 profile image69
    Beth100posted 12 years ago

Transitioning from a traditional diet to a gluten free diet creates a million questions in your mind.  At least it did for me.

I wrote this hub as a starting point to understand where and how to find the basic foods necessary to feed ourselves.  Afterall, if we can't source gluten free, we can't eat.

Gluten Free Living - Where and How to Find Gluten Free Cooking and Baking Ingredients

This is the first in a series for me.... hopefully, I will have the entire series completed by the end of the Weekly Topic Inspiration.

@ Simone -- Great topic!!  Finally, one that I can easily write about.  smile

Wow, cool- the first in a series! I can certainly say that you're off to a good start!

1. Beth100 profile image69
        Beth100posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Simone!!!  smile

2. Denise Handlon profile image85

Beth-woo hoo!  I'm glad you've come out to play.  smile   Enjoy the topic.  I will read it a bit later...see ya

6. CASE1WORKER profile image60
    CASE1WORKERposted 12 years ago

I shall have to meditate on this for a bit and then hopefully produce another gluten free hub. I have approx 50 years experience of a gluten free diet that is getting more complex as the years pass. So many manufacturers fill foods with gluten just to bulk them up!

Wow, with that experience, I bet you can share some very useful information! It is rather appalling how many foods (that shouldn't) contain gluten.  I'm interested to read your take on all this.

7. Mike Hadaway profile image60
    Mike Hadawayposted 12 years ago

Is there a benefit to a gluten free diet if I don't have a problem?

8. Beth100 profile image69

@ Mike -- there are benefits to living gluten free, but you must ensure that your diet is balanced.  Check out paradigmsearch's hub (above) as a starting point.

As promised, Gluten Free Living:  Basic Pantry items for Cooking and Baking - Dry Goods is the second installment in my series of cooking and baking gluten free  for oneself.  This particular hub suggests what gluten free dry items should become a staple in your pantry for gluten free cooking and baking.

This is super helpful! Now I know with greater certainty what I can and cannot use when baking for my gluten-free buddies.

9. byhearon profile image60
    byhearonposted 12 years ago

I'm not gluten free myself, but friends of mine who are report it is very difficult unless you are willing to always take care of your own food. Restaurants and even friends and relatives will not be prepared to meet your requirements. In fact they will be offended if you expect them to.

I bet that's the case a lot of the time, but people are becoming more aware of gluten allergies and intolerance these days. I know I'm happy to accomodate dietary restrictions, and most of my friends are, too big_smile

10. wordscribe43 profile image91
    wordscribe43posted 12 years ago

I just published my first hub in what I plan to make into a three-part series.  This hub is all about what people who are gluten-free need to know about barley.  http://wordscribe43.hubpages.com/hub/Is … luten-Free

I worked in pediatric diabetes and endocrinology clinic where we saw many kids with Celiac disease and  my daughter had to be gluten-free for a time.  So, this is a topic close to my heart... and a very important one.

Wow, you're had some great firsthand experience then, wordscribe43! You've put it to good use- this is a fabulous Hub!

11. AliciaC profile image94
    AliciaCposted 12 years ago

I've published a hub about gluten-free flours, and I include a recipe for gluten-free pumpkin muffins in the hub. I'm interested in gluten-free foods because although I don't have celiac disease I've discovered that I need to restrict wheat and rye in my diet to avoid certain health problems.

http://aliciac.hubpages.com/hub/Gluten- … fin-Recipe

This is an all-around gorgeous Hub, AliciaC.  And so useful!!  I've got to have a go at those muffins. They look delicious!

12. CASE1WORKER profile image60
    CASE1WORKERposted 12 years ago

http://case1worker.hubpages.com/hub/Rel … lternative

My hub is about religion- the trouble a celiac can have following the rites and traditions of their church

Wow, I had never thought of that sort of predicament before.  This is a useful Hub! Hopefully folks can jump straight to your final fix instead of going through the trial and error that you did!

13. Kevin Peter profile image61
    Kevin Peterposted 12 years ago

Gluten free living is easy and affordable without compromising much with your taste buds just go for the right place online or offline

http://kevin-peter.hubpages.com/hub/Glu … ous-Eating

And I'm glad for it!  It's true that it is getting easier to find good gluten-free-friendly places to eat out and buy food.

14. Denise Handlon profile image85
    Denise Handlonposted 12 years ago

Simone, I think you've picked a very interesting topic.

15. ftclick profile image55
    ftclickposted 12 years ago

Is there a big taste difference? Why mention it to friends if it tastes very similar. It is also a small fad for athletes similar to core strengthening workouts. In a study, the core trained vs. normal workout people had similar performance which is how I feel if you take gluten out or reduce it. I just want to be sold on the benefit like I know an abundant fruit & veggie diet is good or less carbs at night.

1. CASE1WORKER profile image60
      CASE1WORKERposted 12 years agoin reply to this

In most products there is a distinct taste difference, often it is not as nice and sometimes it is ...............................yeuch!

16. lanter profile image59
    lanterposted 12 years ago

waa... amazing....

17. Green Lotus profile image61
    Green Lotusposted 12 years ago

Here's my yummy Thai Beef Soup recipe - an easy main course for both gluten-free and low carb diets.

Gluten-Free, Low Carb Main-Course Soup - Grilled Beef Thai

That looks yummy indeed! I'm going to have to make Thai food tonight... somehow.  This really got me hankering for it!

18. Beth100 profile image69

This is the third installment in my series.  We've covered the pantry, now it's off to the fridge, freezer and cupboard in Gluten Free Living: Fresh, Refrigerated, Canned and Frozen Items for Cooking and Baking (oh, yea, quite a mouthful!!!)  lol

What a useful series this is turning out to be, Beth100! And that Hub sure covers a lot!

19. profile image0
    RTalloniposted 12 years ago

Experimenting with gluten free recipes has shown me that we can love living gluten free rather than consider it an irritation--as long as we can have chocolate!  It's important to have a very good repertoire of chocolate recipes no matter what our diet restrictions may be and we were quite pleased with the final results of my gluten free brownie recipe. Besides including the recipe, my hub has a brief discussion about loving living gluten free.  It will be neat to check out the other gluten free recipes posted this week.  I've already seen some that I want to go back to.  Glad this was the weekly topic!

I can't agree with you more on that front!  Here's a link to RTalloni's Hub, y'all: http://rtalloni.hubpages.com/hub/Love-L … nie-Recipe

It's awesome!

20. MarloByDesign profile image79
    MarloByDesignposted 12 years ago

I have a relative with Celiacs disease, so this topic is a great read for me!

I know my relative spends a lot of money on gluten-free food, so I will surely look for homemade recipes on HubPages, so they can possibly stop buying a $7.00 small box of gluten-free cookies.

Whoah, yeah, gluten-free food can be quite costly!  I hope you enjoy the recipes that were shared this week. I hope to try a bunch out myself!

21. Azure11 profile image85
    Azure11posted 12 years ago

Well I like cooking and I had some gluten free flour in my cupboard from when a friend visited so I thought I would document my efforts to make gluten free bread in a slightly restricted kitchen!

http://azure11.hubpages.com/hub/Making- … ree-Bread/

1. MarloByDesign profile image79
      MarloByDesignposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for sharing, I think this recipe is easy enough for me to try as well. smile

2. Simone Smith profile image87

Yeah, this looks quite simple, plus I love the photos!

22. AliciaC profile image94
    AliciaCposted 12 years ago

My second hub about gluten-free living describes the nutritional benefits of buckwheat, a healthy gluten-free grain substitute, and some ways in which it can be used.

http://aliciac.hubpages.com/hub/Gluten- … kie-Recipe

I learned something new from this Hub- that I can serve buckwheat to my gluten-free friends! I had not known it was an option before. Thanks, AliciaC!

23. Simone Smith profile image87
    Simone Smithposted 12 years ago

Hey everyone! We have a new Weekly Topic Inspiration thread up: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/83656#post1796780

This week's theme was proposed by none other than the fabulous Dave Powell.  Check it out!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)