jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (11 posts)

Duplicate? But my content is original...

1. ibbarkingmad profile image88
    ibbarkingmadposted 5 years ago

I posted a hub about an email I got from Netflix. I quoted the letter so that my commentary had context and I gave full credit to the original source etc. I am wondering why my hub has been dubbed as such when I posted it early enough that was the first if not one of the first posts about this particular issue and yet I am suffering from the removal of my post because of this policy. I have not plagiarized. I have not broken any laws. The article I posted had a lot of traffic to it until it was removed and now I am losing out on that. Supposedly the review process is 72 hours, but what of the traffic that I lose? Is the review personal or specific to my case or is it a program that looks for the duplicate then someone clicking a button saying no, I cannot post this. I am a little frustrated here. I am feeling very wronged by how this is being handled. Please, someone with a little power give me a hand here.

1. relache profile image87
      relacheposted 5 years ago in reply to this

And by doing so, you were reusing a large chunk of text that, although recent, is already so duplicated all over the internet, how could you possibly think it was original?

2. QuestionMaster profile image90
    QuestionMasterposted 5 years ago

Duplicate content means content posted ANYWHERE else on the internet that the search engines can access. On  your hub, in the black warning box, there should be a link to the original location of the content you copied. Have a look - someone may have created another similar page before you.

Either that, or did you publish the same content on any other site?

And as for the review process, did you have your hub unpublished and leave it at that? If so you'll need to follow it up.

If you've contacted the team directly (via team@ or the contact link in the help section) they will look at the hub personally and let you know the issue.

There is one way to fix the problem - add more content. Duplicate is only marked as such if you have over a certain percent of duplicate content. So if you add a few hundred more words you may be ok.

Edit: What was the original name of the hub? If it's still in the cache I can take a look.

ibbarkingmadposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Netflix Apologizes, Explains and Announces is the title. I provide a copy of an email sent to me personally from Netflix. I also provide commentary. I did resubmit after modifying and it was rejected again. I tried finding a link to similar content page and they provided none. As far as I can tell, it seems that it is a stupid program that has ID this and is assuming that I have copied off of the other site, whatever it is. I have in fact used an email I received and I can back that up.

1. rebekahELLE profile image91
        rebekahELLEposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Even with commentary, I imagine the letter content itself is the duplicate. Duplicate doesn't necessarily mean you copied it, but that it's duplicate content already found on the web.

It still seems lame considering I was up at the crack of dawn and posted this just after the original email and blog post. It feels like I am being punished from something I didn't do. There is an obvious glitch in the system by my estimation. I have been writing for years and this is the first time I've had this happen.

2. QuestionMaster profile image90
        QuestionMasterposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Seems that it has already been de-indexed. With the amount of copies that have likely been posted since then, Google will definitely see that email content as a duplicate if it gets re-indexed now.

It doesn't matter where you got that content - it's like quoting a Bible verse - if it's been put on the internet anywhere else, it's considered duplicate content, no matter where or how you got it.

Like I said to rebekahELLE, I posted this early this morning, so it is just a little frustrating that what I have posted is judged on the basis of what people posted after me. There is a flaw and I am the one who as paid for it. I re-wrote the entire thing and re-submitted it, but I feel like my efforts were wasted because of a poorly written rule enforced by automated systems and people who don't bother to look beyond the fact that there is duplicate info out there. Yes, I am feeling a little bitter. Can you blame me?

1. QuestionMaster profile image90
            QuestionMasterposted 5 years ago in reply to this

How is the rule poorly written? Basically, Google devalues content if it is considered duplicate, so it's in your best interest that the rule is enforced. Google is basically a robot - it doesn't see anything but text, not the origin of the text or anything else, just the text.

You really need to discuss this with the team if you haven't already. The automatic content filters are there for a reason, but they can do a manual review.

3. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 5 years ago

So it was likely the letter Netfix sent to you that was duplicate?

They maybe sent you a standard letter that is already available to see online.

You could take a snapshot of the letter and post it as an image, that should get round the duplicate content rule, then make sure your writing is at least 300 words.