Duplicate? But my content is original...

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (11 posts)
  1. ibbarkingmad profile image60
    ibbarkingmadposted 12 years ago

I posted a hub about an email I got from Netflix. I quoted the letter so that my commentary had context and I gave full credit to the original source etc. I am wondering why my hub has been dubbed as such when I posted it early enough that was the first if not one of the first posts about this particular issue and yet I am suffering from the removal of my post because of this policy. I have not plagiarized. I have not broken any laws. The article I posted had a lot of traffic to it until it was removed and now I am losing out on that. Supposedly the review process is 72 hours, but what of the traffic that I lose? Is the review personal or specific to my case or is it a program that looks for the duplicate then someone clicking a button saying no, I cannot post this. I am a little frustrated here. I am feeling very wronged by how this is being handled. Please, someone with a little power give me a hand here.

1. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And by doing so, you were reusing a large chunk of text that, although recent, is already so duplicated all over the internet, how could you possibly think it was original?

2. QuestionMaster profile image78
    QuestionMasterposted 12 years ago

Duplicate content means content posted ANYWHERE else on the internet that the search engines can access. On  your hub, in the black warning box, there should be a link to the original location of the content you copied. Have a look - someone may have created another similar page before you.

Either that, or did you publish the same content on any other site?

And as for the review process, did you have your hub unpublished and leave it at that? If so you'll need to follow it up.

If you've contacted the team directly (via team@ or the contact link in the help section) they will look at the hub personally and let you know the issue.

There is one way to fix the problem - add more content. Duplicate is only marked as such if you have over a certain percent of duplicate content. So if you add a few hundred more words you may be ok.

Edit: What was the original name of the hub? If it's still in the cache I can take a look.

ibbarkingmadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Netflix Apologizes, Explains and Announces is the title. I provide a copy of an email sent to me personally from Netflix. I also provide commentary. I did resubmit after modifying and it was rejected again. I tried finding a link to similar content page and they provided none. As far as I can tell, it seems that it is a stupid program that has ID this and is assuming that I have copied off of the other site, whatever it is. I have in fact used an email I received and I can back that up.

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
        rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Even with commentary, I imagine the letter content itself is the duplicate. Duplicate doesn't necessarily mean you copied it, but that it's duplicate content already found on the web.

It still seems lame considering I was up at the crack of dawn and posted this just after the original email and blog post. It feels like I am being punished from something I didn't do. There is an obvious glitch in the system by my estimation. I have been writing for years and this is the first time I've had this happen.

2. QuestionMaster profile image78
        QuestionMasterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Seems that it has already been de-indexed. With the amount of copies that have likely been posted since then, Google will definitely see that email content as a duplicate if it gets re-indexed now.

It doesn't matter where you got that content - it's like quoting a Bible verse - if it's been put on the internet anywhere else, it's considered duplicate content, no matter where or how you got it.

Like I said to rebekahELLE, I posted this early this morning, so it is just a little frustrating that what I have posted is judged on the basis of what people posted after me. There is a flaw and I am the one who as paid for it. I re-wrote the entire thing and re-submitted it, but I feel like my efforts were wasted because of a poorly written rule enforced by automated systems and people who don't bother to look beyond the fact that there is duplicate info out there. Yes, I am feeling a little bitter. Can you blame me?

1. QuestionMaster profile image78
            QuestionMasterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

How is the rule poorly written? Basically, Google devalues content if it is considered duplicate, so it's in your best interest that the rule is enforced. Google is basically a robot - it doesn't see anything but text, not the origin of the text or anything else, just the text.

You really need to discuss this with the team if you haven't already. The automatic content filters are there for a reason, but they can do a manual review.

3. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

So it was likely the letter Netfix sent to you that was duplicate?

They maybe sent you a standard letter that is already available to see online.

You could take a snapshot of the letter and post it as an image, that should get round the duplicate content rule, then make sure your writing is at least 300 words.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)