Link to the Guardian's article on investigation of Google's monopoly:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/20 … oly-senate
Don't get me wrong, I have a great respect for many of Google's products, including their search engine, and they have a right to compete with and outdo their rivals, but being on HubPages has made me realise how powerful they have become and how detrimental the situation could be to the economy and wider society. Monopolies are unhealthy. They undermine competition and stifle innovation, both things that the internet needs if it is to thrive.
Search engines are the arteries that take the blood around the internet. They are vital. And whether it is approprate for a company with such a dominant search engine to also own one of the biggest online advertising systems, and some of the biggest video media and blogging sites is very questionable, so I am glad that this is being looked into.
I think that although Google is trying to become a monopoly, they fail dismally when they go outside their own square - yes, they're great in the search engine, advertising and video sector, BUT they fail dismally when it comes to social networking (FB has been installing updates so they've got most of the 'extras' G+ has, plus they already have all the members) and articles (does anyone use Knol?) and questions (they tried, failed, and shut down that project.)
So I'm not too worried - sure, they're a monopoly in some things, but they can't take over the net - not unless they come up with something no one else can do and learn to do their research first.
Monopolies happen all the time. And the government steps in and trims them back all the time. It actually seems to be a part of the system that works.
The lovely think about the online world is that we can collectively break up monopolies if we so choose and if enough people work at it. I didn't realize until farmer/panda/revenge of panda/etc. just how much I was putting all my eggs in one basket. I have since started taking steps to remedy the situation, and am slowly starting to generate more non-Google traffic. I heard a statistic recently that Google drives about 30% of the traffic on the internet -- I don't know how accurate it is, but it was from a pretty darn reliable source. That leaves 70% out there waiting to be found.
Of course Google would challenge it, to do nothing would be stupid.
by FootballNut8 months ago
With the Ad Program service Hubpages offer, to benefit all writers and Hubpages what is the possibility of allowing Hubpage members access to the hosted Adverts in the Hubpages Ad Program?Is there potential that members...
by Manthram4 years ago
Back-links are the main aspect of off-page SEO. There are several ways to get back-links. Social media, like posting your hubs to Facebook and Twitter, forum posting, and blog commenting are the most common. Just stay...
by Tessa Schlesinger11 months ago
Basically the head honcho of Google search is retiring, and the future of search is AI (Artificial Intelligence).To quote from the article (link provided below): "“They can retrieve very accurate results, but...
by TIMETRAVELER22 years ago
I don't know about anybody else, but I am sick and tired of Google manipulating the system and causing so many problems for individuals and websites. We have been conditioned to use Google, but there are other...
by Oyewole Folarin5 years ago
I noticed that 98% of my hub organic traffic is from google, why not from other search engines, specifically yahoo search engine and bing?
by Oyewole Folarin2 years ago
Despite yahoo efforts to be of course the top search engine in world, Google continue to rule. While queries through yahoo search usually has a lower bounce rate, that from Google from my own experience has a bit high...
Copyright © 2017 HubPages Inc. and respective owners.
Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners.
HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc.
HubPages and Hubbers (authors) may earn revenue on this page based on affiliate relationships and advertisements with partners including Amazon, Google, and others.