Sub-domains and the plunge

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (30 posts)
  1. SimeyC profile image87
    SimeyCposted 12 years ago

I'm in a plunge again - going down to levels I've not seen since March 2010. As we now have sub-domains and all our writing has an impact on every one of our hubs I've been analyzing my older hubs.

One thing I note is that early on I wrote quite a few hubs about subjects that already had a lot of competition. For example I wrote a very good hub on the 2009 Star  Trek movie.

Do you think this could effectively 'lower' the overall 'quality' of my hubs simply because I am getting zero traffic - should I unpublish all my hubs with zero views in the last 30 days?

1. CASE1WORKER profile image60
      CASE1WORKERposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I dont know. It could just be a bad weekend. My traffic has fallen 50 per cent and few visits are coming from Google.
      I wouldnt unpublish anything  until someone gets a handle on what is happenning

1. profile image0
        Multimanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I took such a terrible plunge then went way up in traffic then way down to almost my beginning on hub pages, then now way up again, hubpage teams response to me in email was about a week and a half ago, and it said this would contineu for a couple of weeks until google sorts things out whatever that means, right now I am higher than I have ever been and hope it stays that way as far as traffic goes, but the plunges devasted my hubber score, which is only now begining to recooerate adn be above 75 and just below 80, it use to stay at about 85.

2. Rehana Stormme profile image71
      Rehana Stormmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Do the subdomains mean that we can't write about a wide range of topics anymore? Do the subdomains make HP more like say, Blogger, now?

1. Anna Marie Bowman profile image74
        Anna Marie Bowmanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I really don't think so.  Since the switch, I have continued to write about a wide range of topics, and my traffic has never been consistently higher.  I don't have a large number of hubs, but for the number I do have, I am getting a decent amount of traffic, have decent scores, all that.  I know there are some that divide their writing into several accounts, that way each account can target a specific area that they want to write about.  I just want to write.  Keeping track of all those accounts would be a bit much for me.  So, I have a very wide range of topics that I write about, all on one account, and so far, it is working out well for me.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is something that's been debated quite a bit.

Yes, we are much more like Blogger now - a blogspot blog is a sub-domain just like our HubPages sub-domains.  The whole reason for the change was to make our accounts stand and fall individually on their own merit.

So logic would dictate that the advice given to every blogger - that you need to choose a topic and stick to it - would also apply to our HP accounts. 

However that doesn't appear to be how it's working in practice, because most Hubbers write on a wide variety of subjects and not everyone has experienced a permanent drop in traffic.

Of course there are lots of other factors in the mix, like the age of some of those Hubs which probably means they have good organic backlinks.   So we don't really know whether new Hubbers can continue in the same vein, or whether they would do better focussing on a single subject.

3. Benjimester profile image89
      Benjimesterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I delete more hubs than I keep.  I've written at least 400 hubs but have deleted most of them because of low traffic.  I haven't gotten hit by a plunge yet, and I think a lot of it is due to a relatively narrow subject matter and deleting hubs that don't perform.  What's the point of keeping hubs that generate 12 views a month, especially if your whole subdomain is suffering just to keep those 12 views a month?  I don't know.  That's just me.

1. Stacie L profile image88
        Stacie Lposted 12 years agoin reply to this

that's a shame you deleted them and not posted them elsewhere..

1. Benjimester profile image89
          Benjimesterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I figure that if the content isn't performing here, there's no reason why it should perform elsewhere.  I don't know, I prefer less content to more.  I know that they say content is king, but I really like to make my hubs as informational and useful as possible.

2. Rebecca E. profile image79
    Rebecca E.posted 12 years ago

it goes up and then goes down it goes up and then goes down...I think it's going be a long ride.

1. Rebecca E. profile image79
      Rebecca E.posted 12 years agoin reply to this

No I'm not trying to be funny, but rather I'm in teh same boat as you Simey.  I think it's links one day then fix them-- in teh process finding about 10 bad links on my hubs thus far, sand then google goes up a bit, but on teh webmaster tools my crawl rate is bad.

SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I just got rid of all my bad links and am in the process of adding summaries - only about 350 to go!!!!!

1. Rebecca E. profile image79
          Rebecca E.posted 12 years agoin reply to this

go for it!  I think it might make a small difference with teh deleting of bad links and adding summaries.... I think I hope .  I'll just wait for you to post if you're plunging or not, you and I seem to be in the same boat.

3. Hestia DeVoto profile image60
    Hestia DeVotoposted 12 years ago

I think it's more important to evaluate a Hub based on the content than the pageviews.  Ask yourself if your Hub topic is still useful or interesting to readers.  If it's really obsolete, the best choice would be to see if you could fix it.  That way you'd benefit from the older creation date and any present backlinks, but you could then capitalize on new interest.

For example, there's a new Star Trek movie in the works... can you change the subject of that older hub so that it talks about the new movie series and upcoming film instead of just the 2009 film?  That sort of switch would put you ahead for the next wave of interest.

Recently the HubPages blog talked about evergreen content.  You might want to go listen to that podcast.

1. viryabo profile image94
      viryaboposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I had to do that to a few of my hubs (still have some more to do though). I tried to weave a more current topic around an older one, so that the URL still stays relevant.

Not many views yet. Still watching.

4. Wayne Tully profile image66
    Wayne Tullyposted 12 years ago

I've got lots of bad hubs on my main account at waynet over 100 and it hasn't affected the new sub domain traffic....but it has made me think about doing something with them low quality hubpages though...

1. Rehana Stormme profile image71
      Rehana Stormmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I honestly thought a hub was a hub. I didn't know that having 'low quality hubs' could reduce your overall traffic...

1. wampyrii profile image62
        wampyriiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm still not at all convinced 'low quality hubs' have anything to do with the traffic plunge some of us are seeing.

5. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

I've seen several reports of hubbers removing what they considered poor quality hubs and seeing an increase in traffic and/or SERPs.  I don't know if any were actually plungers, though.

Understand that that is the reason for and the purpose of subdomains.  Each hubber will stand on their own (at least more so that they used to) and poor quality hubs will drag down a subdomain just as it did HP as a whole.

6. jean2011 profile image62
    jean2011posted 12 years ago

I think each hub stands by itself. I am also learning that the title, content and tags can influence the amount of traffic that your hubs get.

7. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

After lying on the floor for several months, my traffic shot up over 600 (having never been much over 100 before).

I am sure it won't last long but it might get me to my first payment at least.

It's a wild ride.

1. Rosie2010 profile image67
      Rosie2010posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Congrats, psycheskinner!  I'm happy for you.  My traffic is inching up since Sunday, so I'm also a happy puppy. 

Here's to you getting your first payment... Cheers!

2. Aficionada profile image78
      Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations!!  I hope it lasts for a long, long time.

And congrats to you too, Rosie!  I hope a lot of Hubbers see a lot of improvement, and very soon.

8. brandonhart100 profile image76
    brandonhart100posted 12 years ago

Is it me or is it rotating for certain hubbers with similar content?

SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Don't think so - I had a few high traffic niches (with no other matching hubs) that have bounced up and down!

1. brandonhart100 profile image76
        brandonhart100posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hmm - it just seems like when someone is up someone else is down. I've been down for around 3 weeks now but I've been up at the beginning of the month two different times. Guess I'll wait and see what happens this month.

1. wampyrii profile image62
          wampyriiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I wondered the same thing but my better performing hubs during my last dip were the ones with the most competition from other hubs. My traffic is up again right now and I can't see much reasoning behind it. I lowered a bunch of keyword densities here and there but since those pages still have the old cache dates that can't be the reason for my bounce. Bah, I've decided its unfathomable and my time is better spent elsewhere.

9. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

I've basically given up trying to work out Google's mysterious ways.  But I suspect my jump has something to do with my costume hubs, given that Halloween is coming up.

10. Aficionada profile image78
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

I'll add too, that my numbers have climbed higher today - hooray!  I have not really experienced a plunge here (so far) and I am so grateful.  But there have been two spikes that have gone above and beyond all the rest of the numbers.  Today is one of them. 

I don't know whether it is related to the fact that I have recently been adding summaries, since the "A" only just appeared on my stats page. (I actually thought I had already added them wherever needed.)  But the current spike may just be due to whatever fickleness is going on with Google.

11. CASE1WORKER profile image60
    CASE1WORKERposted 12 years ago

Mr Google is letting though a few more hits, but not many- A small increase every day does at least give me some good feeling. But my three top performers which last week had about 40 hits each, now have 4! Oh well.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)