jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (23 posts)

Pet peeves

1. Uninvited Writer profile image83
    Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago

My latest pet peeve is when people write "now-a-days" in an article. I see it a lot.

What are your pet peeves?

1. Disturbia profile image61
      Disturbiaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

My big one is smokers who toss cig butts out their windows while driving down the highway.

2. 0
      Home Girlposted 5 years ago in reply to this

What's wrong with "nowadays", UW? Why don't you like it?

2. WriteAngled profile image90
    WriteAngledposted 5 years ago

1. People who write:

I would of (done something) instead of I would have (done something)

2. Loose used instead of lose, for example:

She managed to loose her purse while shopping

Loose and lose do not even sound the same (in UK English at least)!

1. Lisa HW profile image81
      Lisa HWposted 5 years ago in reply to this

lol   That "would of" think drives me nuts too.   (And in the US "loose" and "lose" don't sound the same either.)

This one is one I think SOME people do intentionally and others do out of not knowing any better, but "prolly" (instead of "probably").  !!!!!!!   mad  mad  mad  lol

I can't make myself make peace with the fact that (nowadays  big_smile) it has become acceptable (maybe even desirable, I guess) to use "their" instead of "he" in a sentence like, "Anyone who would like some cake should bring his plate to the table."  These days, it's apparently "the thing" to say, "Anyone who would like some cake should bring their plate to the table."  (Even though I'm as a big a "feminist type" as anyone could be, I just can't make peace with the apparent need to stop using "he" because some people don't seem to have the ability to reason out that "he" can be used in different ways.  hmm  I refuse to mix my singulars and plurals!!  I don't care who thinks I ought to change with the times.  )

3. TamCor profile image80
    TamCorposted 5 years ago

In the writing world, it's the people who write "I could care less", instead of "I COULDN'T care less"...or the ones who "wreck" havoc, instead of wreaking it, lol.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image84
      Mark Ewbieposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Funnily enough, I like "I could care less" whereas other things annoy me.  It's chatty, real language which is good for connecting.

Bear in mind I am aiming for the trash end of the writing speculum.

4. MissJamieD profile image79
    MissJamieDposted 5 years ago

My big pet peeves: 1. Rude people in the supermarket, you try to be nice to others with no reply...that's rude! If I move out of your way, thank me! I'd thank you! 2. People who tell me I'm not a good writer (specifically on Hubpages). I'm sorry but just because I'm not politically correct and write about my feelings, does not make me a bad writer!

5. Disturbia profile image61
    Disturbiaposted 5 years ago

If we're talking about writing, it is the use of "your" for "you're" that drives me over the edge.

1. SimeyC profile image90
      SimeyCposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I hate it when people use the wrong 'synonym'. "To use two words correctly too!"

6. schoolgirlforreal profile image76
    schoolgirlforrealposted 5 years ago

I don't like it when I'm talking I get alot of interruptions, then I forget what I'm going to say lol

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image76
      schoolgirlforrealposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Oops! I meant:

I do not like when people constantly interrupt me as I'm speaking; it makes me forget what I'm going to say.

lol

1. Rosie2010 profile image84
        Rosie2010posted 5 years ago in reply to this

lol

7. frogdropping profile image85
    frogdroppingposted 5 years ago

In no particular order - belligerence, ignorance and apathy.

8. Rosie2010 profile image84
    Rosie2010posted 5 years ago

I hate it when people write "wanna", "gotta", "kinda", "sonna"... ooops that's me! big_smile  Just kiddin'!   It annoys me to see hubbers using "your" instead of "you're" in hubs, in Questions and here in forums.  Come on!  Stop it!  mad

1. 0
      Home Girlposted 5 years ago in reply to this

And wanna you gotta do about it, Rosie? People kinda like it. big_smile

1. Rosie2010 profile image84
        Rosie2010posted 5 years ago in reply to this

wanna slap them silly, but I'm kinda shy... lol

9. AEvans profile image69
    AEvansposted 5 years ago

I can't stand anything on my counters. Not a crumb, not a spot nothing! It drives me nuts. sad

1. Disturbia profile image61
      Disturbiaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

LOL, you must not have kids or pets.  My counters are routinely covered with dog food containers, school books, toys, dirty dishes, and God only knows what else the kids and their friends walk through the front door with. Not five minutes after the counters are clean, somebody drops something else on them.  It's a full time job just keeping them clean.

1. sagebrush_mama profile image81
        sagebrush_mamaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

LOL!!!  smile

I can relate!

10. Danette Watt profile image89
    Danette Wattposted 5 years ago

in writing: when people say "the man that" instead of "the man who"

11. Zabbella profile image76
    Zabbellaposted 5 years ago

It drives me insane when I am already upset about something at work and someone simply states...."It Is What It Is."  That is enough to send me over the edge.  That is not a solution or even an answer...so they should just be quiet! (am I right or am I right?)

1. Lisa HW profile image81
      Lisa HWposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Have you seen the Saturday Night Live thing with Abbey Elliott, where she plays a young woman who tells people really horrible news; and then says things like, "Hey - it is what is."  in a cheerful, dismissive, tone smile  ?

As for me, I'm not a football fan; but living in the Boston area, when I hear "It is what it is" I think of the Patriots' coach, Bill Belichick.  I'm not sure he ever says anything BUT "it is what it is".  smile  (and I think all the Patriots players have pretty much made "it is what it is" their own thing too.  roll  I guess it is, as they say, what it is when it comes to that comment.

working