Dont give up with your Ebay Affilate or Amazon for that matter

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (16 posts)
  1. jimmythejock profile image83
    jimmythejockposted 15 years ago

In many previous forum posts there have been people who have given up hope with their Ebay and Amazon capsules on their hubpages, because they don't earn any money from them, some have even removed the capsules from their hubs. I don't really make much money from either but I keep the capsules on my hubs because they are free to use and take no time to set up and if someone does buy something I get a small payment as commission.

To all of those hubbers who have taken the capsules out of their hubs especially I would ask them to reconsider their actions and put them back because 1 sale can make a massive difference to your earnings.

Today one of my hubs made a sale on Ebay and I made a commission from that one sale of $43.91 not bad for one click I am sure that you will agree.

2008-10-06    2008-10-07    Winning Bid (Revenue)    43.91   
    Keep the capsules guys, they could pay off big one day.....jimmy

2. Whitney05 profile image82
    Whitney05posted 15 years ago

I feel ya! I sold a new imac computer from an ebay link. I don't remember what hub it was from, but I don't have a mac hub. Keep the links people, but keep them relevant and let the user buy something that's not relevant still using your cookie.

3. profile image0
    daflaposted 15 years ago

I had an Amazon sale on a hub for market bags.  The sale was for something unrelated.  I didn't make much, but it was my first ever Amazon sale, so I was excited.  Since then, I've gotten a couple more Amazon sales.  Don't know which hubs they are from, though.

4. thranax profile image72
    thranaxposted 15 years ago

Heh, I also barely got a click on Amazon or Ebay, I will not remove the capsules but nonetheless it isn't what I would call "Good" in the least as it is. Maybe it doesn't blend well, or people don't further click on them because they know we placed them there, I don't know. I do know that I have never had a sale from any of them, while Ad sense keeps delivering.

What I have been pondering immensely is the fact that Ebay and Amazon Capsules aren't working (like no click at all >.<) and what has even shown any money at all is Ad Sense and Kontera. I believe the information I put in a Hub should be read and taken seriously, aka not just for money, and by eliminating ads, more people (outside of the community) may stay and revisit more. By eliminating those capsules and just having Ad Sense and Kontera would encourage more people and clicks, and a cleaner appearance.

~thranax~

1. Eric Graudins profile image59
      Eric Graudinsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Glad you made some money Jimmy, but I'm afraid I agree with Thranax. (Haven't seen you round much. welcome back)

Have a look at the very prolific hubber Hal Licino's hub on his Amazon profits.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Adieu--eBay--Am … or-Nothing

5. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 15 years ago

Well placed and topically relevant amazon and ebay capsules can perform quite well indeed.   On the other hand amazon and ebay capsules simply added as an afterthought probably will not do much for you.  There is one subtle downside to the strategy of adding them to every hub that I'd like to mention.  For lightly trafficked hubs, they will significantly slow down the load time of the page.  This is because the amazon and ebay data can only be cached for a short period of time and requesting it from their web services can take anywhere from 0.5 to 1.5 seconds (not to mention the additional download time for the images).

So with that in mind, the strategy I'd suggest is to leave them off your new hubs unless they are directly relevant and prominently featured.  Wait a week or two, and see if your hub is generating decent traffic (say 30+ views a day).  If it is, go back and add a well tuned capsule or two.   In general eBay pays a bit more per click than Amazon.

1. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image60
      JYOTI KOTHARIposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Paul,
      Your advice worth. I will change my strategy.

Jyoti Kothari

6. hot dorkage profile image76
    hot dorkageposted 15 years ago

I didn't think Amazon clicks per se paid anything unless the mark actually buys the book. 
    It seems to me that in order to generate $$ from Amazon the hub can't just be something related to the book, it's gotta make the visitor dying to buy the book.  Well book salesman I'm not, so no Santa Clause for hot dorkage this year.

1. alexadry profile image96
      alexadryposted 15 years agoin reply to this

That's what I thought too! I have never seen any revenue from clicks but only from items shipped out. Can anybody clarify how you can get paid by click?

1. thranax profile image72
        thranaxposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Ya can't get paid by click, the click will only pay if it leads to a sale. But as others said, if used properly it can make money, it just hasn't even if you plan where to put them. More testing of how to get a sale on them is needed. Eric there could answer it us for a hub if he was nice neutral. But alias, unless he does then you must conduct your own study and blah blah blah, I hate making "test" hubs that are real hubs but really for the purpose of seeing how they have been reacted to (while demonstrating and giving a real topic and real information in the hub). What can ya do? Its hard, find a solution. I know Eric and Paul said well planned ones can be profitable, and to not just have them if there an after thought, well I always add ad's last because the content comes first to me, although Paul, Hubpages is advertised as a place where people can make revenue and Hubpages provides the tools (the two capsules), might be nice to get one of the Hubpage staff to make a *detailed* Hub on how to use these resources correctly AND make a PROFIT from them smile

I mean, it isn't that farsighted of a request Paul, you did teach us how to use Kontera and make money with it, same with Google, so why not the two other capsules as well?

~thranax~

2. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
        pauldeedsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

As others have said you only get paid when a sale is made, but that doesn't mean you can't figure out what you're earning per click -- just divide the dollars you made by the number of clicks.

We've done just that for all the HubPages Amazon and eBay clicks, and eBay pays a bit more per click.  We don't have readily available impression data, so it may be that one or the other type of capsule is more likely to be clicked on.  So, I'm not saying eBay is better -- you probably just want to pick the one that has the products most relevant to your hub.

7. Dorsi profile image88
    Dorsiposted 15 years ago

I have signed up one ebay account, and made one sale on amazon. I think they certainly can't hurt, and like Whitney pointed out, can be useful for future sales.
    Adsense and Kontera are doing much better though!

8. Mark Knowles profile image57
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

Good for you Jimmy. The commission on motorcycles is pretty good as well. smile

If the capsules are used properly, you can make good money from them. I make $200-300 a month with Amazon.

9. Janet21 profile image82
    Janet21posted 15 years ago

I have made 3 eBay sales already. smile

10. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 15 years ago

You only get paid from Amazon and Ebay if you make a sale...

11. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 15 years ago

I agree with Thranax.

I used to have eBay and Amazon capsules on all my Hubs, because even if they weren't selling, I thought they added colour and variety to the Hub.  But then I realised - I want the reader to exit my Hub by clicking on a profitable ad, not an unprofitable one!   Adsense seemed to convert better, so I decided to change my strategy. 

These days, I've removed a lot of Amazon capsules (because as an Aussie, they won't pay me in cash, just in gift certificates).  I've left the ones where I can feature high-priced goods, or where they are highly relevant to the content and I feel like they're providing a service to the reader. 

I've retained my eBay capsules because I also have an eBay affiliate site, so my combined eBay earnings are worth having. 

Interesting point about the slower loading - I may now review them again!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)