jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Need critical feed back!

1. 59
    activistposted 5 years ago

I am anxious to know whether my style is detrimental or encouraging in this format or venue.

1. AEvans profile image73
      AEvansposted 5 years ago in reply to this

When engaging in writing there isn't a particular format. Everyone has there own unique writing style. I reviewed a couple of your hubs and the conversation with your friends about her father was creative writing which is fun to read. The hub about Black Americans needs to be more researched and didn't really explain what you were trying to clearly express and conclude. Your hubs can encourage others to respond, but the key is to keep writing. Provide more length.

I would also recommend adding some type of pic to your profile if you can because when it is blank, people are less likely to respond. They will believe you are spinning hubs, stealing work etc. Having a profile pic or Avatar gives people a sense that you are serious about what you write. If you have not written a little bio about yourself on your profile page, I would also recommend you do that. smile

1. 59
        activistposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I will add a photo soon to give more credibility, and a small bio. Thank you very much.

2. Danette Watt profile image87
    Danette Wattposted 5 years ago

I'm going to assume you mean in your hubs.

This isn't a blogging site. HP is looking for articles. It's ok to put some of your personal experiences in but information is needed too.

Hub should be a decent length, about 400 + words is generally the norm. In your caregiver hub, you could give tips on caring for someone with Alzheimer's, like in a bulleted list.

In your hub about not having a chance to talk to you dad, then maybe tips on how people can re-connect with an estranged loved one.

Proofread too and correct any grammar errors (run on sentences or sentence fragments that aren't used for emphasis).

Look around at how others are presenting their info on hubs, pictures are a definite plus. Go to the learning center and read the articles there as well.

Good luck and keep writing!

1. 59

thank you for you insightful critique

3. K9keystrokes profile image93
    K9keystrokesposted 5 years ago

I agree with both AEvans and Danette. A bullet-points list is a great idea as are original images. With such a big topic as your Alzheimer's hub, you could add a table capsule with useful information and advice that helps others and would bring readers. Your story is presented pretty well, and the word count sufficient. But with a little bit of layout work, this could turn into a very good hub. As stated above, HubPages is not a blogging site, so the more you can create an article format the better your reputation can become. I love Danette's idea regarding pointers for re-connecting. The more original and searchable your title and keywords the more success you will find on HubPages!

To sum it up for you:
    Good word count (400 at least)
    Pictures (at least one original)
    Bullet points
    Numbered information
    Solid links
    Video capsules (Youtube is a pretty good source)

All of these components will bring you readership once you establish your reputation. You MUST checkout the Learning Center here (see link Danette provided above) and discover the myriad of masterful writing and marketing advice offered by the HubTeam.
    I wish you the best of luck! cool

1. 59

Thanks for the information that a hub is not a blog. I obviously didn't know the difference. I will do more research and work harder.  Thank you again.