jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)

Amazons California Sales-Tax Reprieve Is Approved by Gov Brown

1. wavegirl22 profile image48
    wavegirl22posted 5 years ago

Under the bill signed by Brown in San Francisco today, Amazon will begin turning over taxes on California transactions in September 2012 if no national standard is in place by then.

You can read the entire article here . . .

Sounds like good news for Cali!

1. Marisa Wright profile image91
      Marisa Wrightposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I saw that and started a thread about it too.  I'm really surprised there's not a bit more excitement from Californian affiliates about this.

1. paradigmsearch profile image91
        paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago in reply to this

They all moved to Nevada.

2. Greekgeek profile image96
        Greekgeekposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'll be excited about this when I actually get an email from Amazon saying my account has been reactivated. Until then, it's still between the state of CA and Amazon, and doesn't help us. Has anyone heard anything from Amazon promising to reinstate the CA associates program in October as a result of this change?

I spent a good week or so changing associate links on 300+ articles on Squidoo.  If CA associates get reactivated, we get to spend another week changing all our links back. And then, at the end of this probation period, will we lose the associate program again, and have to change all our links yet again?

It's hard to be excited when one's been jerked around so much. Or, to put it differently, when an income source is no longer reliable, it's wise not to be too emotionally invested in it. Find alternatives. If it comes back, great, but don't count on it.

Also remember that  Amazon is holding out for a reprieve until the U.S. Congress has had a chance to examine the issue and (Amazon hopes) possibly pass a new law with a uniform federal sales tax on online retail. But how likely is this Congress -- which defends states' rights, opposes all kinds of taxes, and has deadlocked on everything but what to name post offices -- to pass the tax bill Amazon is looking for? If it doesn't, will Amazon give in and reinstate the associates program anyway? I just wish they'd address that issue.

Or maybe they have, and I've missed it?

2. QuestionMaster profile image88
    QuestionMasterposted 5 years ago

The reprieve is only for  a year. And do you really think, despite what they claim, that Amazon will keep affiliates around with all the extra work that will involve?

1. wavegirl22 profile image48
      wavegirl22posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Honestly I have not a clue but Im interested to know more.

3. rebekahELLE profile image91
    rebekahELLEposted 5 years ago

"The company and the state agreed to work together for a national standard on taxing online sales. "  That's kind of a speculative business deal. So, if there is no national standard within a year, CA is back to the same place as it is now?

And if there is a national standard, what are the implications..

1. 69
      logic,commonsenseposted 5 years ago in reply to this

The state knew that a referendum would go against them.

1. 0
        Multimanposted 5 years ago in reply to this

With the way to Dems and Repubs agree on taxes and businsess regulatiosn what are the chances outside of zero?

4. Dorsi profile image91
    Dorsiposted 5 years ago

I have been slowly removing my Amazon capsules and replacing them with EBay capsules, which are doing the best I have ever seen since I started writing.

I'm just going to wait before I remove anymore but am not holding my breath at this point. It is alot of work to rework all your hubs.