Weekly Topic Inspiration: Taking the Offensive Against Hackers

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (36 posts)
  1. Dave Powell profile image61
    Dave Powellposted 12 years ago

I again everyone! I wanted to suggest another Weekly Topic of Inspiration about "Taking the Offensive Against Hackers." These days, we all know that we should use updated antivirus and firewall software to help keep "malware" out of our PCs. That's a given. But what ELSE are we doing to both protect our PCs and even to strike BACK against the hackers who are trying to get into them?

I think we'd all learn a lot from Hubbers' articles about this!

Sincerely,

Dave

1. Simone Smith profile image88
      Simone Smithposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Fantastic topic, Dave!
      I would be very interested to read about the methods everyone employs to stay safe online. 

If any of you are not so sure what you might write about regarding online security,  consider these frequently searched for terms for inspiration: what is a firewall, password protection software, intrusion protection, pc security software, anti virus software, free internet security, antivirus software, network security, internet safety, anti virus gratis, windows security, panda security, computer security, information security, online virus scanner, cyber security, global security, best internet security, internet security 2011,  it security, internet security essentials, internet safety for kids, personal internet security 2011, web security, internet security reviews, pc tools internet security, cyber safety, email security, and internet protection.

If you'd like to join in on this week's topic by writing a Hub, follow these steps:

1)    Click here to visit this week's topic.
      2)    Click the green button "answer this question".
      3)    Click the gray button below the box (leave that empty) that says "make a Hub about it."
      4)    Give your Hub a very specific title, like Easy Summer Gardening Projects for Kids or Challenging Summer Activities for Teens
      5)    Create good quality original content that hasn't been covered before.
      6)    After you publish your Weekly Topic Inspiration Hub, come back to this forum thread and post a link to your Hub with a brief description of what you wrote about and why.

For more information on the Weekly Topic Inspiration program, check out the Learning Center guide.

Dave Powellposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Everyone, I just posted my hub for this topic. It's at:

http://davepowell.hubpages.com/hub/Nail … o-the-Wall

I hope you enjoy the approach... and find it useful!

Oh, this is exceedingly useful! Wow! It's fun how you've tied the tips in with a narrative, too.

2. K9keystrokes profile image84
          K9keystrokesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This hub is truly *PRICELE$$* Dave! The fun setting you provide makes the feel of this article amazing. (I half expected Sam to play it again...). This really is a fun way to learn how to keep your PC hacker free! Thanks for writing it.
          Cheers~
          K9

2. profile image0
      lavender3957posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am not real literate at this computer stuff. My account has been hacked twice now. My facebook and my e-mail. I don't know how they do this, but I hope to try and stop it with some kind of anti-virus.

Now's a great opportunity to figure out how to best protect yourself! Perhaps then you can write a Hub on the common mistakes many folks make that can lead to being hacked and how one can avoid them!

2. profile image52
        Nina Gillposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hello,

Just make sure you are changing your password occasionaly and if you opening your accounts in public make sure you are clicking off where it says save passwords

2. jacharless profile image74
    jacharlessposted 12 years ago

We are buying Mac's smile
    Not a virus in years.

"Buy A Mac™, Stop The Hack!" ~ me, a programmer and one time neophyte.

Some writing ideas:

-What Hacking actually is.
    -Why A hack and A Hacker are not the same.
    -The differences between a neophyte, a hacker, etc.
    -Why hacks are 99.9% effective on Microsoft & only 0.1% on Apple Technologies.
    -Who wrote the first hack script. (that should be a real eye opener).
    -What Trojan horses and Worms are.
    -How hacking/hacker of the '80s became the security of today. (i am not saying that is a good thing --at all. jeje)
    -What programming languages are easiest to hack and why "Windows" never close.
    -Why DOS is still hackable even with every firewall on earth.
    -What hardware can make hackers jump for joy.
    -Why the Software of your Hosting Company could be drawing hackers attention.
    -Why some Hacks are useful -sloppy yes- but useful nonetheless, to programmers.
    -Why Cocoa programing language is so difficult to hack.
    -How Android™ Technology & Apps encouraging a new generation of hackers.
    -Why things like Open Source, Joomla! and Drupal are a hackers dream.
    -Why Teens make the best hackers.
    -What is a Fire Sale.

And, you know, stuff like that.

Cool Topic. Cheers,
    James.

a once member of: <promotional link>

http://www.antilogic.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/sony-3d-viewer.jpg

Yes, Apple and Linux/Ubuntu computers are still more secure than Windows PCs. But even they are increasingly at risk. A friend of mine just had to take her MacBook Pro to the Apple store for a throughout virus cleanout. Really shocked her when it hit!

1. K9keystrokes profile image84

My Mac is still in for repairs from a similar situation...it seems no one is hacker safe these days. The more they learn, the more we need to learn! I am loving this topic Dave.
        K9 cool

So true, K9keystrokes! Gosh.. I think I need to brush up on Mac security T___T

3. Dave Powell profile image61

Thanks so much everyone... I'm SO glad you are enjoying the content and the approach! And... I'm sorry to hear about your poor ailing Mac, K9. Maybe I should send Dirk by... if he gets out of Moldova! ;-)

Sincerely,

Dave

I may be able to find the old hammock, and I do make a great umbrella drink...  wink

Another thing about the Mac Attacks,...they are a lot more expensive to get repaired than a PC attack! The Mac team had to actually begin working on mine in a clean-room environment (first hour $175, then $80 hr for every hour thereafter mad). I have (had) a ton of programs on that machine that are not replaceable.  I'm thinking this is NOT a good sign for any hope of recovery and repair...?

Again, I love this topic!

Double yikes!!!! O_______O

4. Dave Powell profile image61

OMG K9... I'm stunned. Maybe my wife and I will have to readjust our thoughts about switching to a MacBook! I'm so glad you love the topic... maybe someone can one like it about Macs?!

Sincerely,

Dave

Don't get me wrong Dave; in my world Mac is King! If I had been more aware that even as it is less likely to get hacked on a Mac, when it happens, it can be a real horror story, I surely would have taken far greater precautions! (Totally paying for it now...literally.) But, for me, I would choose a Mac over PC every time. I'm a big photo person, so PC has no chance of comparing to what Mac can do for me, (IMHO).
      Cheers~
      K9

5. anasshad profile image77
    anasshadposted 12 years ago

I have written a hub on this topic, at:

http://anasshad.hubpages.com/hub/save-c … om-Hackers

The hub includes information about what is computer hacking and what are the dangers of computer hacking. It also includes tips on how to protect our computers and data from hackers.

This is a great primer, anasshad! Nicely done!

1. anasshad profile image77
        anasshadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks so much Simone. I am really glad that you liked my efforts.

"Prevention is Better than Cure!" --- Love it! smile
      Cheers~
      K9

1. anasshad profile image77
        anasshadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks K9 smile

6. Glenn Stok profile image96
    Glenn Stokposted 12 years ago

I just completed my contribution to the weekly topic...

Monitoring A Website For Hacker Cyber Attacks

It's a discussion about how hackers are searching for back doors to get into website servers to get useful data. I monitor for this on my website and discovered an attack attempt almost every day.

I think your Pro-active approach to Hacker attacks is outstanding Glenn! Thanks for offering us a peek at your tactics. You have much to teach us...
      Cheers~
      K9 cool

2. Simone Smith profile image88

This is a really fantastic one, Glenn Stok! You're rather on top of things!

7. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years ago

simone, someone hacked me an e!!!!  advice?

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/5575448.png

1. sligobay profile image60
      sligobayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

does that new e stand for eclectic? does it move around with your wardrobe changes? congrats, it seems that you've arrived Kim.

2. FloraBreenRobison profile image61
      FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

no one hacked you. It means you are a Hubpage elite, which means you are one of the volunteers who greets new hubbers etc. All people with an e are volunteers who greet newcomers.

8. Simone Smith profile image88
    Simone Smithposted 12 years ago

To those of you who have not been following the WTI question thread, to which folks are posting their Hubs as answers, I'd like to point you in that general direction- folks have been adding some cool answers: http://hubpages.com/question/136668/wee … st-hackers

For example, Ania L wrote a great overview on online security essentials:  http://anial.hubpages.com/hub/AntiVirus … Essentials

This has proven to be a most educational theme!

9. profile image0
    mtsi1098posted 12 years ago

Not sure I am going to enter this but when discussing online security too much security can be just as bad as not enough - I wrote something a while ago but the synopsis is there are three areas to be concerned with router, pc and network.  Make sure only your pc has the firewall and internet security because if you use the router + windows + third party package security it is too much...Just saying...

10. anasshad profile image77
    anasshadposted 12 years ago

Yes Simone. Thanks for suggesting this wonderful topic smile

That was all Dave Powell! Glad you enjoyed it, anasshad. big_smile

11. Simone Smith profile image88
    Simone Smithposted 12 years ago

Hey everyone! Thanks so much for getting involved in this week's topic, and big thanks to Dave Powell for thinking of it!

Our new topic for this week is up: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/84140

Since it helps to write about holidays well before they arrive, we've made this week's topic Thanksgiving recipes. I hope you join in on the fun!

Hey, you're very welcome Simone... My pleasure!!  smile

12. cashmere profile image77
    cashmereposted 12 years ago

I just realized I answered the question and then forgot to post the link here smile
    http://cashmere.hubpages.com/hub/Choosi … your-needs

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)