jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

Disclosure statement

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
    Marisa Wrightposted 5 years ago

Jason has just highlighted the importance of having a disclosure statement if you advertise products for which you earn a commission (which covers Amazon and eBay capsules plus any affiliate links in Hubs).

I'd like to pick up on the suggestion made by others in that thread:  that HubPages adds a generic statement on every Hub similar to Squidoo's:

This page and all the pages on Squidoo generate income for lensmasters and charities based on affiliate relationships with our partners, including Amazon, Google, eBay and others

Apart from anything else, this is important because HubPages is also earning income from every Hub, so they need a disclosure statement too!  So this would be one way of covering all of us.

In the meantime, I've added my disclosure statement to my profile - which as I understand it, should be enough to cover my whole sub-domain.  Would love to hear that confirmed or otherwise by someone who knows the ins and outs.

And by the way, in its TOS, Amazon asks affiliates to use specific wording, i.e.

[name] is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It would seem perhaps wise to include other programs as well - an adsense or HPad could very well appear for a product you recommend and of course there will be eBay soon as well.

I modified the disclosure you used and put on my profile as you suggest; if you have no objections I would leave it there...

1. IzzyM profile image85
        IzzyMposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I've added it too - though when I went to save there was a warning that I had to remove my affiliate link to Market Samurai which was in my profile as it is a banned affiliate! Thought it would have been allowed in my profile if not in a hub!

2. relache profile image88
      relacheposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I like the blanket statement suggestion.  This would cover all bases in one move.

2. leahlefler profile image99
    leahleflerposted 5 years ago

I added a similar statement to my profile, too, Marisa. Do you mind the fact that I used your wording? It is well worded and "fixes" the disclosure problem. Thanks for suggesting this!