jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

Add a spell-checker to hub templates

1. Imogen French profile image91
    Imogen Frenchposted 5 years ago

Some other writing sites incorporate a spell-checker into their templates so you can check your spelling before publishing.

This would weed out a lot of the spelling mistakes seen in hubs and improve the overall credibility of the site.

1. SimeyC profile image90
      SimeyCposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Umm I think there is a spell checker in the text capsules already? It's not dyamic - you have to hit a button at the top of the text capsule as you are editing the text. You can also use HP on Firefox and that will dynamically check spelling too!

Imogen Frenchposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Is there? I can't say I've noticed it, and it seems to me that a lot of other hubbers either aren't aware of this facility or simply choose not to use it.

Maybe a reminder to spellcheck before publishing would be a good idea then, with instructions on how to use it.

I always proofread my hubs before publishing, but there's bound to be the odd typo that gets missed even by the most careful hubber.

My concern is that the credibility of HubPages is lessened because there is no quality control over bad spelling and grammar.

2. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

There is one, you click on the ABC button to turn it on.

OK, so now I know there is one.

The real question is how do we get everyone to use it!

3. VictorG profile image59
    VictorGposted 5 years ago

As SimeyC noted, if you use a browser like Firefox, Google Chrome, or Opera, a spell checker is included, which can come in handy all over the web, including here on the forums, not just on hubpages.

However, I think it is a good idea to do your writing in a program like Microsoft Office or the free alternative Libre Office. This way, not only do you have built in spell checking, but more importantly, you have a local copy of all your work in case something happens here!

I do use Firefox, but not sure how the spell checker works. Do you need to enable something?

1. VictorG profile image59
        VictorGposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It should be enabled by default, but if not you can goto Edit -> Preferences ->Advanced and select the "General" Tab

Make sure the option "Check my Spelling as I type" is selected.

If you are using Linux or something other than windows, you may also have to install a dictionary.

You can find a dictionary on Mozilla's Addons Page. Just do a search for "United States English Spellchecker"

working