jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (15 posts)

What to do when the Number One Answer on Google is Wrong?

1. Gordon Hamilton profile image96
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 5 years ago

I'm sorry but this is a genuine question - I don't know the answer. smile

I was genuinely searching for something on Google tonight (cooking related) and Google UK returned more than 600 million results. I am a little bit in shock because the top answer appears to be from the forum section of the site of a top chef and it's not rocket science to know that only an oven explosion will result. Any semi-competent cook, or anyone with basic scientific knowledge, would recognise it as a no-no. Curious that the site has only text and no pictures...

What would you do if you found such a high profile Google result - in any type of search - which is so obviously entirely worthless and totally wrong?

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'd write something which is hopefully better and by far more useful

1. paradigmsearch profile image90
        paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hollie is on to something. Rewrite it right and submit it to them for posting and giving you full credit.smile

2. Gordon Hamilton profile image96
        Gordon Hamiltonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

That's my intention going forward, Hollie. smile  I feel comforted by the fact that I certainly couldn't do much worse than the present Number One. Just feeling really sorry for the decent articles below that... that... "Whatever..."

In the end Gordon, frauds may make it to number one, but if their content is rubbish, they'll get outed. Write the hub, let it mature, good content gets noticed. Crap content eventually dies. smile

Excellent point, I'm going for it - thanks, Hollie and paradigmsearch! smile

Go for it, You're a perfectionist, I can tell by your hubs It will be the best.

Thank you for the encouragement, Hollie. smile  I don't know about the perfectionist bit but I will be certainly giving it a go. My tactics are slightly altered after what I have seen from these results but I'll still be going for it smile

2. paradigmsearch profile image90
              paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago in reply to this

smile

2. paradigmsearch profile image90
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

I'd email the site that has the bad info and warn them?

I've tried, paradigmsearch. To be perfectly honest, I don't know whether my message was accepted or not. The response on my screen asked me to register for various sites and I declined. Typical in such circumstances, I know...

3. Stacie L profile image86
    Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

Google is broken...

4. paradigmsearch profile image90
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

And include a link to your profile and/or a hub or two. smile

I should have done. I'm just a shy, Scots rural boy at heart, without that level of confidence... wink

5. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 5 years ago

I was reading some techy forums this morning, and it seems there is a huge resurgence of totally irrelevant material rising to the top of the Google at the moment.
    So, Google is broke.

working