jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

Different summaries for different search terms? I don't get it.

1. Haunty profile image84
    Hauntyposted 5 years ago

My latest hub is about why China will fail to become the world's leading economy in the long term. I noticed that when I use different search terms the summary in the SERPs is different.

For example, I search for "why China will fail" and I get the summary that I wrote for the hub. But when I search for "conditional convergence in economics," which is something that is also talked about in the hub, I get a different summary, one that looks really awkward and doesn't serve the searcher very well.

Why is this and how can I make it so that the summary remains the same?

1. Cagsil profile image83
      Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Well now, this is a predicament. It should definitely provide an interesting answer from Hubpages Team, as to why? that would happen.

Hopefully, a team member will join the thread and possibly give some insight. hmm

2. Susana S profile image92
      Susana Sposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Google's been doing this for well over a year and we have no control over what google decides to use as a summary. I've seen titles changed too on other websites (not hubpages).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueyrb1Ph … AA2950A700

Hauntyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks, Susana. At first, I thought that the meta description didn't contain the particular key-phrase that I was searching for and that's why it wasn't used by Google. Now, I will have to think about what this video says.

2. paradigmsearch profile image91
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

Now that is interesting. So Google pulls up different parts of hub based on search terms. Seems obvious in retrospect when I remember searches I've done. But I never did the obvious extrapolation back as to how that would also be done to my own hubs. smile

To answer your question, we probably can't do a darn thing. neutral

3. sofs profile image87
    sofsposted 5 years ago

I have noticed this with a couple of my hubs and was rather pleased because either way it is a winner.  smile I haven't gone back and checked it again..need to do it to see if it is still working that way..but sure enough the second summary wasn't much of a summary.

4. QuestionMaster profile image89
    QuestionMasterposted 5 years ago

I believe that unless the search words are matched in the title of the hub, the summary that is pulled is based on how the search keywords appear in the article, giving the searcher an extract of where their words appeared. For instance:

[Search 1]
    Great Wall of China Walk
    The story of a young couple who decided to walk the great wall of china and learnt a lot along the way.

[Search 2]

Great Wall of China Walk
    ...our trip through Shanghai. We didn't like the food but....

Hauntyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I guess, it's good to be prepared for this then. If we have related/secondary keywords or concepts in a hub it's good to introduce them by their own concise summary-like paragraph that states what it is and how it relates to the article.