jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (8 posts)

About those big Drano ads...

1. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 5 years ago

September saw a truly awesome earnings and CPM from HPads, and (Jason?) commented once that a part of the reason was those giant, colorful Drano ads that no one liked.

As of October 1 CPM has dropped 50%, along with a large drop in income.  Those big ads are also gone - the conclusion is obvious that Jason was right and Drano ads were responsible for a good bit of the incredible September CPM.  Has anyone else seen this?  They were apparently only put on hubs in the "home" category (which half of mine are) so that's where they would have the most effect.

To HP staff:  Bring back Drano!  Or a replacement, at least.  (cracks whip over HP staff) smile  Seriously, it might be nice to have a little more information on how HPads works - do you typically have a 1 month agreement with advertisers, or can it change day to day?  Can we now semi-expect current ads to be shown for a period of time?

1. Jason Menayan profile image60
      Jason Menayanposted 5 years ago in reply to this

We're going to have a second "flight" with Drano in late-November and early-December, for about a month.

The Ad Program is fairly complex: it includes direct deals with advertisers (like Drano) but also deals through ad networks, and other network relationships we maintain long-term.

We are as incentivized as you are to make the Ad Program work as well as possible, as you might imagine. smile

wildernessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yes, I imagine that HP wants that income as much as I do.  Well, almost as much, anyway! smile

While I know many hubbers didn't like them (including me!) they did so much for my bankbook I'd take them back any day.

I thought that was pretty much the deal with ads, but thanks for the information, Jason.  It never hurts to understand better how things work!

2. PaulGoodman67 profile image91
        PaulGoodman67posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for all your efforts, Jason and staff.  The Hub Ads must need a lot more effort putting into them than Google Adsense.  Despite some dips in CPM, from my perspective the Hub Ads have been a big success so far overall!

1. FloraBreenRobison profile image60
          FloraBreenRobisonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

the only money I get on this site is from HP ads. It's not much, but hey, I'm thrilled the HP ad program exists. I've made about $8.00 in the time that I signed up for them and, oh,nearly $2.00 in Google Adsense.

1. FloraBreenRobison profile image60
            FloraBreenRobisonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

and by the way, $1.19 of that $2.00 was *before* I signed up for HP Ads.

wildernessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You should be aware that using HPads costs in terms of adsense income.  Only be testing for a month or so with and without HPads can you tell which will work for, and only by comparing earnings per 1000 views both ways.

Some hubbers report better income with only adsense, but the majority seem to prefer using HPads - I certainly do!

2. Jason Menayan profile image60
          Jason Menayanposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yes, it's an additional revenue stream that works for us overall, and, anecdotally based on what people have reported in the forums, about 80% of Hubbers who have tested them against AdSense-only, too.

Our goal is to work on the monetization piece for everyone, allowing Hubbers to focus on what Hubbers do best: write high-quality, informative, interesting, and authentic Hubs. smile

working