jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (12 posts)

Mysterious Occurrence

1. William F. Torpey profile image83
    William F. Torpeyposted 8 years ago

One of my hubs has mysteriously duplicated the date "1991" in the lead paragraph and will not allow me to edit out the duplication. It states: "of the 1991 1991 presidential elections."

I've tried everything, but when I go into the editing mode it appears correctly -- only showing the duplication after I click on "Done Editing."  It continues to appear incorrectly on my hub and, although I tried several different ways to correct it, it stubbornly refuses to be corrected.

I hope someone can help me to correct this anomaly.

If it helps, here is the URL: http://hubpages.com/hub/Did-the-Voters- … -in-a-Poke

1. B.T. Evilpants profile image59
      B.T. Evilpantsposted 8 years ago in reply to this

I had the same thing happen with a photo caption. I eventually deleted the capsule, and started over. Come to think of it, I was using the new text editor at the time. Not sure if that was the problem.

2. William F. Torpey profile image83

Can I delete the entire news capsule and replace it with the corrected version without affecting the hub or violating any rules?

1. pauldeeds profile image
      pauldeedsposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Sure, that's no problem.  You can delete or modify your hubs' capsules any time you like.   I couldn't see where 1991 was being repeated in the hub you mentioned above.  Are you still having that problem?

3. thranax profile image50
    thranaxposted 8 years ago

I didn't see it either.

~thranax~

4. William F. Torpey profile image83

The duplicate date is still there.

I will leave it there for a while before I delete the news capsule (and replace it with the correct capsule) to give anyone interested a chance to find out what went wrong.

I would take a screen shot if I knew how (I have instructions for a screen shot, but I don't quite understand them.)

5. pauldeeds profile image
    pauldeedsposted 8 years ago

William, maybe I'm looking at the wrong hub?  I don't see a news capsule or a double date in this one:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Did-the-Voters- … -in-a-Poke

6. William F. Torpey profile image83

I just clicked on the URL you posted, Paul, and the duplication is there sure enough.

The first line of the text capsule ends with "1991" and the second line begins with "1991."

I just noticed that you said "news capsule." I said "news" capsule, but I meant "text" capsule.

7. William F. Torpey profile image83

Lo and Behold, I just pulled up my troublesome hub on KMeleon and the duplication does not appear there. I then pulled it up on my Internet Explorer, the browser I normally use, and the duplication still appears there.

I'm not sure what I do now. I can't use KMeleon routinely because I can't get access to the videos because they require plugins (whatever they are) and I don't know how to get them.

So, I'm still left with the duplicates on the browser I use.

Is it hopeless?

8. pauldeeds profile image
    pauldeedsposted 8 years ago

It looked fine in all the browsers I tried (firefox, opera, and internet explorer 7).  There is definitely no duplication in the HTML source on the page, so I think this is just some kind of very odd rendering anomaly.  I'd suggest just either ignoring it, or modifying that first sentence slightly so that the line breaks at a different place ... I'm at a loss.

9. William F. Torpey profile image83

Thank you, Paul. I believe I use Internet Explorer 6 (I have an old IBM Thinkpad, if that makes any difference.)

I try not to alter what I wrote originally, but I have made a few small, largely insignificant changes where I felt it was necessary to avoid confusion. I'll work on changing it to avoid the duplication, as you suggest. If all else fails I'll delete the text capsule and substitute a new text capsule that does not contain the duplication.

I very much appreciate your time and effort on my behalf.

10. William F. Torpey profile image83

I followed your suggestion, Paul, and the duplication has been eliminated.

I'm a little embarrassed that it was so easy. I merely changed "Newt Gingrich & Co." to "Newt Gingrich and Co." It worked!

Thanks, again.

working