jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

As of Recent Times, How's your Enthusiasm for Content Sites?

1. DNemesis profile image60
    DNemesisposted 5 years ago

I used to be all about Hubpages, all about Infobarrel, and so on. But then Panda came along, and ive lost a great deal of interest. Articles that sometimes earned me money with AdSense are now sitting collecting dust.

But i want to pick things up again, i really do.

- Have you earned with articles written as of 2011? As of last month?
    Chances are many of you are earning with OLD articles, but i'd love to hear what your success stories are with titles written after Panda....

- Do you focus on niches with a specified amount of monthly [exact] or "phrase"  searches? Or do you simply write out of your gut?

Would be nice to see where the community of writers stand... especially with 2011 articles after all these search engine changes. smile

1. 0
      Amie Warrenposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I am only earning on blogs. Pennies here, dollars on the blogs.

2. paradigmsearch profile image89
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

Alas! My speciality seems to be dust collectors.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image59
      Hollie Thomasposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Not true.

3. Greekgeek profile image98
    Greekgeekposted 5 years ago

I've hit that frustration stage too. Until November of last year, I wrote online as a hobby and was very happy with my $300/month. Then I thought, "You know, I could actually earn something, if I started treating this as a job."

So for 2011 I set goals. Suddenly it was work. LOTS of work. I did not get hit by Panda, but I got hit by the California Amazon tax kerfluffle which killed a promising income stream. There have been a lot of similar setbacks where I wound up having to do damage control instead of writing new articles.

Earnings are increasing, but $650/mo is not enough to live on in California.

So here I am trying to diversify, master Hubpages where I'm now making... what, 5 cents a day? with about 20 articles. That's not a good ROI. My blogs are not great ROI. Zazzle and Cafepress and AllPosters, no ROI.

I'm torn between sticking with what works, even though I'm somewhat frustrated, or continuing to climb the learning curve on other sites because I know that it takes time to learn what works. I don't want all my eggs in one basket. I don't want to be dependent on any one site.

Is it really worth the amount of time and effort I'm sinking into it?

I just have to keep reminding myself that startup small businesses usually have to go into debt to start, whereas this is free, and most startups take a while to start turning a profit.

4. DNemesis profile image60
    DNemesisposted 5 years ago

Yeah i seem to be getting a better ROI by focusing on blogs lately. I got serious in the summer and went from $0 to about $50 monthly. Now im working on doubling that to a steady $100.....from blogging alone.

5. Anna Marie Bowman profile image93
    Anna Marie Bowmanposted 5 years ago

I was not affected by Panda, and have seen an increase in earnings and traffic.  I am not making as much as I would like, certainly not enough to live off of, but then, I go through long periods where I do not write, and haven't written nearly as much as I could have by this point.  It takes effort, and it takes time.