jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Posting summaries and letter count

1. Peggy W profile image90
    Peggy Wposted 5 years ago

Why not limit the number of letters in the summary box so that we know if we are writing one that is too long?  In finding some of my already written summaries on hubs added to other hubs, some of the last words were cut off.  So I went back in and re-wrote the summary.  This would save time and effort on our part.  There is the 500 letter count...but that is obviously too long.

2. Cagsil profile image61
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

It's unknown whether or not a summary that cuts off on the search engines matters to the searcher.

If it's written to draw attention and it's too long for the search engine, then it running off into ....... at the end might actually work to your advantage, because it would draw the searcher into clicking the link to find out more.

If it's written to a specific length which is fully displayed to the searcher, then you run the risk of the searcher not being interested, because you gave them a complete summary of the contents and it ends in a single period, but if it's written interestingly enough they may click on the link to visit.

So, I don't know which is more beneficial.

1. Peggy W profile image90
      Peggy Wposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Interesting!  Thanks Cagsil.

1. Cagsil profile image61
        Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You're welcome. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

working