jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

Crazy ads on my hubs!

1. kittythedreamer profile image96
    kittythedreamerposted 5 years ago

Why is it that there's an ad for a Russian Mail-order bride on one of my hubs about a natural supplement? That seems a bit off-topic, don't ya think? Weird!

1. Anna Marie Bowman profile image93
      Anna Marie Bowmanposted 5 years ago in reply to this

That is a little odd.  Is it a recently published hub??  I know I have found some odd ads on some of my hubs from time to time.  Sometimes it's a matter of trying to find an ad that will fit with the article.  Once in a while, it's hard for the filter to find an ad that works with the content, other times...I wonder...LOL

2. QuestionMaster profile image89
      QuestionMasterposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Adsense adverts often aren't based on the content of the hub, but on previous search history.

2. 2uesday profile image89
    2uesdayposted 5 years ago

This was also mentioned in this post, but I noticed the ad was still on the new hubs page today.

Here is the earlier posting - http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/84147

3. Gordon Hamilton profile image96
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 5 years ago

Kitty, such are the joys of the Web. Firstly, as others have said, it can take a day or two for the ads to be totally compatible. Otherwise, it's not just a Hub Pages issue. I'll give you an example which I can laugh about (sort of!) now - but I certainly wasn't laughing at the time...

About three weeks ago (roughly) I clicked on to my main private food blog and was horrified by the ads placed in the two most prominent positions. I can't remember the exact wording but they were approximately as follows:

1) (Top position!) Eaten something you shouldn't have? Diarrhoea? Try...etc, etc...

2) Hemorrhoids? Try... etc, etc...

This is probably one of those virtually inconceivable situations where I hope I had no clicks! smile

Hope your ads are more suited to your content soon! smile

4. LuisEGonzalez profile image82
    LuisEGonzalezposted 5 years ago

Sometimes it will take a little time for HubPages to find appropriate adds to go with each hub. For example one of my hubs has an add which is nothing more than a woman with huge breast holding them in her hands and cleverly concealing some parts....don't know the rest since I did not click on it.....photo was rather nice though.....tongue

5. ktrapp profile image92
    ktrappposted 5 years ago

I had this same ad for Russian Brides on my hub about freezing chocolate chip cookie dough. It was at the very bottom. The problem is that it really didn't look like an ad. It was made to look like a video with an arrow on it as if clicking it would make it play.

I also saw this same "Russian bride" ad at the very bottom of Paul Edmondson's hub on making apple pie last week.

6. WriteAngled profile image91
    WriteAngledposted 5 years ago

HP Ads do not relate at all to the hub topic.

I assume they are all approved by the powers that be here, and going by some of the examples given, it is clear that ads are not subjected to the same quality control criteria as hubs.

I suppose the assumption is that hub authors do not give a toss if the ads bring in money.

This used to be known as selling your soul to the devil, but I presume new sayings apply with respect to virtual reality.