jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Fishy Comments

1. Moonmaiden profile image82
    Moonmaidenposted 9 years ago

I guess Hubpages has grown to the point of attracking more and more spammers.

Lately about 2/3 of my Hubpage comments aren't the real deal. They aren't from readers saying 'your hub really helped me with this problem' or 'thanks for the gift ideas'. Now the comments are like. "Great hub. Now come to http://www.buymyjewelry.com." In other words, they don't care a fig about my hub, they just want to drive traffic to their site. So I've been denying all these comments. Is there any way to keep the bogus commentors out of Hubpages? Or is it just par for the course?

2. carpesomediem profile image60
    carpesomediemposted 9 years ago

I've noticed this as well.  Most comments I'm getting, too, are: "Good job, come to my web site for more information."  I don't mind it if they GENUINELY are adding to discussion or the topic I'm writing about, but these just general statements to get a link on a highly scored page just bugs me.

3. SunSeven profile image63
    SunSevenposted 9 years ago

I guess thats one problem everyone faces here. What those spammers are looking for is some back links and they don't really care or read what we write. There is only one way to dissuade them. That is to edit your comments. To do this, first edit your hub, then navigate to edit your comment capsule, there you can check the "Comments must be approved before they appear" box and/or "Only signed-in users may post comments" box. I hope it helps. Best Regards.

4. spuds profile image21
    spudsposted 9 years ago

I see the occasional comment like that. It happens every where. Other blogs I have get the same type of comments form time to time. Just keep denying them.

5. embitca profile image81
    embitcaposted 9 years ago

Best way to fix this would be to have html stripped out of all comments. I get the same thing. I just disapprove them. The most annoying bit though is when other Hubbers do it.

6. ripplemaker profile image89
    ripplemakerposted 9 years ago

I got curious to this post as to what fishy comments was all about.  ALthough I haven't experienced spammers comments yet, thank you for bringing out this "nuisance" issue in my early stages of being part of the hubpages family.  At least I could also "warn" those whom I know to make sure to edit the comment capsule as Sunseven has suggested.  Thanks.

7. pauldeeds profile image
    pauldeedsposted 9 years ago

For anonymous comments all links have the NOFOLLOW tag appplied to them, so that kind of spammer is not getting much benefit.  The best response to any lame comment is to swiftly deny it.

If you notice a HubPages user with a pattern of spam comments, please let us know so we can take appropriate action.

8. Isabella Snow profile image86
    Isabella Snowposted 9 years ago

There are quite a few hubbers who do it.. though I don't think they're "real" hubbers...

But if they haven't created a hub, and just go round posting comments, how are you supposed to flag them??

9. pauldeeds profile image
    pauldeedsposted 9 years ago

Just deny the comments.  We can see what users have a lot of denied comments and take appropriate action.